password protected, read access only?

mholmes00

19 Jan, 2021 05:22 AM

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but when I try to create a password protected access entry, the "read/update/write" is grayed out, with "write" as the default (though grayed-out) option. I would like to provide a url, which then also requires a password to be entered, before the individual can access a read-only version. Does this capability not exist?

I'm confused by the options and permutations. What's the difference between "Secret - anyone with an access code below, or who has already bookmarked the map" and "URL - anyone with the map's URL", except for a longer more complicated URL to send around?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 19 Jan, 2021 04:24 PM

Good morning,
    The "password" option is being deprecated, we're transitioning away from that method of map management for a variety of reasons. For backwards compatibility reasons the option to create a write password still exists though we plan to remove the ability to create additional maps with write passwords soon. We've replaced this sharing model with the Secret access level. Secret maps can only be accessed with a special URL that you control access to, the URL is long enough that guessing/finding the URL would be extremely difficult. Those special URLs also grant a variety of access levels (Read, Update, Write). It's very similar to Google Docs sharing strategies.

URL maps are public maps, if you were to guess the 4 digit URL or click on a link that has that URL you will be able to access that map. Secret sharing adds a "passcode" onto the URL that you control access to. You can share that longer URL but also remove the URL if you no longer want to share the map (though users who bookmarked the map will retain access).

You should check out the training materials on these topics: https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/share/permissions this covers it very well.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Aug, 2021 08:19 PM
01 Aug, 2021 03:35 PM
31 Jul, 2021 07:44 PM