Downloading tiles while viewing lines/polygons

endorice

19 Jul, 2020 07:52 PM

Greetings! Paid user, now exploring the mobile app for the first time.

I have a long route (the Colorado Trail) drawn as a line feature and I want to start downloading tiles for off-line use. When I go into the 'Download Layers' feature, my route disappears. Is that by design? It makes it challenging to determine exactly what tiles I need to select/download.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 20 Jul, 2020 02:54 PM

Hello,

My general approach is to get the entire map in the map viewer before I go to 3 bar menu> Download Layers. The dotted purple rectangle shows what you are currently viewing in the map viewer. You are correct that at this time the map objects themselves do not show up in the Download Layers view although it is on the list to add this feature at some point in the future.

However for a route as long as the Colorado Trail, I would actually recommend going segment by segment so that you don't end up with a bunch of unnecessary tiles downloaded. While in the map viewer, zoom in on a portion of the trail and get it in the map viewer. Then go to Download Layers and select the tiles you need to cover that portion. Return to the map viewer, go to the next segment and repeat. You'll be able to see any tiles you already have downloaded because they will show up as blue.

This is a little tedious but I think it will help you be more precise in which tiles you select so you get what you need and don't end up with extras.

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 02:54 PM.

3. endorice re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 08:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by endorice on 20 Jul, 2020 08:38 PM

Thanks! Really appreciate your help!

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 20 Jul, 2020 08:58 PM

Happy to help!

Happy mapping,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 08:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac