New ctd config has map data in user area

steve.levy

28 Aug, 2021 04:52 AM

Just now moving config from the older sartopo offline to the new caltopo desktop where data is in users\xxx\Caltopo on windows. We have a lot of downloaded data and to have it replicated for each user on a computer would be prohibited. So, I created a shortcut with the name data to a central place. I started up ctd and access some basemaps. A new folder gets created in CalTopo again with the name data. And stuff is getting added to that folder. First, I did not know a folder could have two entries with the same name, in this case data (folder) and data (shortcut), and second, what is happening? Does the program not see/use the shortcut data? How should this be done?

1. 1 Posted by steve.levy on 30 Aug, 2021 12:01 AM

I probably should have read all of the documentation for CTD before creating this discussion; did not see the part about adding a pointer to our data/tiles in the topo.properties file when converting from an older installation. So, what I should have asked is:
    1) If we have several users on a given pc, do we need to do the setup for each, such that there is a CalTopo file in each user folder area? Then put the same pointer to the data area where all of our tiles are located in each topo.properties file?
    2) The new (current) authentication appears to not use the license pointer that resided in the sar.properties file?

In using the new CTD, I notice that when started up all of our layers are shown in the right layers listing, even when there is no internet connection. Hence there are a number of layers that have no data, yet appear to be selectable. Should they be grayed-out or RED or something?

Thank you once again

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Julie on 30 Aug, 2021 04:05 PM

Hi Steve,

1. You do not need to login as different users or set up separate instances of CTD on the same computer, as long as you are all accessing the same maps.
    2. That's correct; we no longer use that method.
    3. They probably should be indicated as unavailable in some way, but it's not high on our priority list, sorry.

Best,
    Julie

3. Julie closed this discussion on 30 Aug, 2021 04:05 PM.

4. steve.levy re-opened this discussion on 30 Aug, 2021 05:41 PM

5. 3 Posted by steve.levy on 30 Aug, 2021 05:41 PM

Julie,Thanks for the responses.I may not have clearly stayed the first question regarding separate logins.  We have multiple accts on a pc, some having admin privileges.  If ctd is installed into the admin account, obviously if someone logs in they can start ctd.  Now they log out and someone logs into the non-admin acct.  Can they start ctd and access all of the map layers, etc that were pointed to by the data folder in the CalTopo folder under the admin acct?Sent from my Galaxy
    -------- Original message --------From: Julie <[email blocked]> Date: 8/30/21 9:05 AM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: New ctd config has map data in user area [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #1079]

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ben Lantow on 30 Aug, 2021 06:40 PM

Steve,
    The user has to have access to the folder the data was stored in. You can set that path via the properties file, however if the file system restricts access to that folder nothing we can do will override that. If you're in a multiuser configuration we would recommend storing the data in a shared location accessible to all users.

Best,
    Ben

7. 5 Posted by steve.levy on 30 Aug, 2021 08:42 PM

Bw]en,Thanks, we have intended to put the data in a common location and point to it via the pointer in the topo.properties file.  My question has top do with the need for a CalTopo directory to be in each Users\<user>  home directory.  See below:
    c:\users\user1\CalTopo
    and
    c:\users\user2\CalTopo
    >>>>  each of the above would have a topo.properties file and etc.
    And the best/proper way to do this:
    1) install caltopo-desktop while logged into each acct, or2) install once and copy the CalTopo directory to the other user acct?
        On Monday, August 30, 2021, 11:40:54 AM PDT, Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ben Lantow on 31 Aug, 2021 06:01 PM

Steve,
    Yes right now we would recommend placing the tiles in a common area that all users can access and use the properties to define that location. You may be able to install the application in a location for all users and just place an individual properties file for each user, but we haven't fully tested that. We don't have out of the box support for multi-user installations.

Best,
    Ben

9. 7 Posted by steve.levy on 31 Aug, 2021 06:15 PM

I'll try something and let you know.Sent from my Galaxy
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 8/31/21 11:01 AM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: New ctd config has map data in user area [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #1079]

10. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 31 Aug, 2021 08:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac