Can polygons be modified (not "edited" but "modified")?

billsiever's Avatar


13 Nov, 2021 03:28 PM

I'm creating a polygon to show the elevation outlines at 1500 feet, and I was almost finished encircling a mountain range when something went haywire, and the polygon line went directly southwest rather than hugging the curve of the mountains. I've included a screenshot to show you what I'm talking about I tried the undo option, but that didn't change anything. I clicked on the Polygon window to split the line, like I do with Lines, but I see that the Polygon window doesn't have that option. Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to just start over? I didn't see anything mentioned about the lack of a modifying option in the Polygons documentation. Thanks!
-- Bill

  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 13 Nov, 2021 04:42 PM

    matt's Avatar

    If dragging vertices while editing isn't an option, you'll unfortunately need to start over - we don't yet have a way of splitting and combining polygons.

    However, when you start over, leave the existing polygon in place, and when you start drawing, set the snap to menu at the top left to "lines". You can snap to your existing polygon boundary, so it should be quick to retrace that part of the polygon and then just draw the part that is missing.

  2. 2 Posted by billsiever on 14 Nov, 2021 10:31 AM

    billsiever's Avatar

    Hello Matt,
    Ah, that's a good tip, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
    -- Bill

  3. 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 15 Nov, 2021 08:07 PM

    Ben Lantow's Avatar

    It sounds like this was solved for you. Matt alluded to it but pushing edit allows you to move the points (vertices) around and realign them as well potentially getting rid of your outlier point. Regardless, let us know if you need further assistance.


  4. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2021 08:07 PM.

  5. billsiever re-opened this discussion on 15 Nov, 2021 09:07 PM

  6. 4 Posted by billsiever on 15 Nov, 2021 09:07 PM

    billsiever's Avatar

    Thanks, Ben,
    Yep, I'm all set! I went with the first option he mentioned, which worked
    -- Bill

  7. Meghan closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2021 10:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts


? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Jan, 2022 03:13 AM
20 Jan, 2022 02:54 AM
20 Jan, 2022 01:33 AM
20 Jan, 2022 12:49 AM
19 Jan, 2022 11:22 PM


19 Jan, 2022 10:42 PM
19 Jan, 2022 10:25 PM
19 Jan, 2022 09:17 PM
19 Jan, 2022 04:50 PM
19 Jan, 2022 04:01 PM
19 Jan, 2022 03:36 PM