Reduce the track by a maximum number of points

Michelle Peterson

26 Jul, 2021 07:15 PM

I am trying to upload a GPX file to Peakbagger.com. This is the message from their site instructions:

"Since Peakbagger.com is a shoestring operation, we don't have unlimited storage space. Therefore, a limit of 3000 total points per GPX file (trackpoints + waypoints) is enforced for now. This should be enough for almost all one or two day trips. Again, email the webmaster if you feel strongly that this limit is too low.
Also, a single GPX file can have a maximum of 50 track segments or tracks, and a maximum of 150 waypoints.
And finally, to save storage space, all elevation and timestamp data is not stored. Without this data, there is still enough information to show a detailed track and follow it in the mountains. Elevation can be determined by looking at the base topographic map in the map window, and most GPS-derived elevation is not as accurate as lat-long positions."

When I upload the GPX of a single day hike, I get the error message, "Too Many Total Points-Max 3000". Yet, I see other people uploading their CatTopo tracks to the site.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reduce the amount of points in the track or otherwise modify it to post my track on the site.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 26 Jul, 2021 07:25 PM

Hi Michelle,
    CalTopo defaults to a creating a point on the track every 100ft if you draw it on our platform. 3000 points at 100 feet between them would be 56 miles. If you are importing or using a track from a GPS device, the points are recorded based on that GPS device. You can click on a line and resample it which is to redraw the line with either a point every x distance, or a set number of points. Click the line - modify - resample and change the drop down to number of points, then you can just set the number of points you want. The feature to do this is covered here: https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/objects/existing-lines#resample

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 26 Jul, 2021 07:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Oct, 2021 03:46 PM
17 Oct, 2021 03:39 PM
17 Oct, 2021 12:22 AM