Wilderness Layer?

gabrielamadeus

20 Sep, 2020 09:06 PM

I'm looking for a way to overlay a transparent polygon layer of Wilderness Areas on multiple maps that I'm working on (eg: like the fire history map layer)

I know the OSM has some but it's not completely accurate and not a stand alone layer. Am I missing this somewhere? Seems like a common feature.

I've made this Arc map that should have the most accurate USFS wilderness polygons (as well as USFS inventoried trails):
https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=13d074583fed493fbfa52286a14f80a1

Can that be imported as a custom source somehow? Or can I layer another Caltopo Map that just has Wilderness Polygons over my current maps?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any advice.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 21 Sep, 2020 04:49 PM

To add the data as a custom layer, the data needs to stored at a public endpoint in a WMS, WMTS or Tile format. Then in CalTopo, go to Add New Layer> Custom Source and input the URL. If its WMS or WMTS, you can input the URL into the Auto-configure URL field and press Go.

However its probably easier to simply bring in the data directly to CalTopo from the public data set where you originally got the data and then add it as a custom source.

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 21 Sep, 2020 04:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac