Snap to MVUM lines?

Will

30 Jan, 2020 06:30 AM

I'm trying to plan some tracks/routes, and just discovered the new MVUM data. Awesome stuff - thanks. I can now see all the marked BLM roads in an area I've been collecting tracks from.

However, unlike other roads/trails shown on basemap layers - I don't seem to have the ability to snap a line to the BLM roads provided by enabling the MVUM option. I can approximate the BLM roads by tracing a ton of short line segments over them, but this is rather inaccurate and time consuming.

Is it possible to snap a line to these roads/trails shown in the MVUM overlay?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 30 Jan, 2020 05:58 PM

Will this is a good idea, we don't have that grid built out to allow snap to lines, in many cases the roads may be in the OSM database and snap to OSM lines could potentially work. We'll talk about possibly implementing this in the future.

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2020 05:58 PM.

3. Will re-opened this discussion on 30 Jan, 2020 06:49 PM

4. 2 Posted by Will on 30 Jan, 2020 06:49 PM

In the case of the area I'm working on now (Quartzite, AZ), few if any of the BLM roads are shown on the OSM basemap. That's why I was so stoked to find the MVUM option - I knew numerous roads were there, but couldn't find them on any mapping service. Until discovering you had them loaded in Caltopo, I was stuck with BLM PDF's.

So yeah - that would be a welcome addition! Thanks much for considering it.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 30 Jan, 2020 06:59 PM

Fair enough. The BLM data set is pretty helpful in CO/UT as well for sure.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac