Grade of lines

Nathan

23 Oct, 2020 09:56 PM

The slope angle data (min/avg/max) given in the terrain statistics is for the ground which your line passes over, which is useful if you are assessing avalanche risk, for example. But what about calculating similar data for the grade of the line, which would be useful for analyzing a skin track (or hiking trail, road, etc.)? Is there some way to do this currently?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 23 Oct, 2020 11:01 PM

Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking but did you notice the slope angle bar below the elevation profile in the terrain statistics dialog (see attached screenshot)? This gives you an idea of how the slope angle changes throughout along the line/route you've drawn. This bar gives you an idea of where to expect steeper sections, such as around 1.9 miles. Is that what you are looking for or are you looking to learn different information about a line?

Best,
    Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Nathan LaFevers on 19 Nov, 2020 02:32 AM

Different information about the line.  So the current information shows what the slope of the terrain under the line is doing, not what the line is doing.  If I draw a line parallel to a contour line on a 45 degree slope, it will say the average slope angle along that line is 45 degrees (and that bar you mentioned will be solid red all the way across).  But if I were walking along that line I would be walking on a completely level path, slope angle of zero.  Is there any way to show that in Caltopo? On Friday, October 23, 2020, 05:01:58 PM MDT, Meghan <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv8724949060 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8724949060 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 19 Nov, 2020 02:56 PM

HI Nathan,

The terrain stats are reporting the angle of the slope below the line, not the drawn line itself. For example, if you were to draw a line that perfectly follows a contour of elevation, but it crossed a very steep slope, the terrain stats would report a very steep slope angle, even though you were staying at the same elevation.

Best,
    Julie

4. Julie closed this discussion on 19 Nov, 2020 02:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac