Using Caltopo to find high probability deer trails and beds.

Russell Guthrie  "Deer Up" Habitat Consulting - a hobby - no $ passed.  I'm 74 and it's give back time in my life.'s Avatar

Russell Guthrie "Deer Up" Habitat Consulting - a hobby - no $ passed. I'm 74 and it's give back time in my life.

03 Oct, 2020 03:43 PM

I'm working with a Kids school in the State of OK and I live in PA. I do a workup of the topo path of least resistance with yellow lines and then a ridge runner in blue lines. When they intersect "Bingo". I also use the sun analysis to find warm spots on the mountain that are flat. I just found a 1-meter topo map at the USGS and boy does that make a big difference for me and the info I share with the kids and their teacher.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to better use CCaltopo for this passion, please let me know. I also use the NDVI plant index from onesoil.com and I can watch my food plots grow or not grow without traveling to them. I have over 3,000 acres that I help my friends manage for deer. I want to grow them, you can hunt them. See the map below for how I help the teacher and his kids! :-)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 05 Oct, 2020 08:43 PM

Have you checked out the DEM shading custom layer (Add New Layer> DEM Shading)? You can create one or more rules to specify different conditions for any range of slope, aspect, elevation or canopy. You could select rules that would identify habitat that deer prefer, such as flat (0-5 degree slope angle). Press Save and any part of the map that meets the rules you set will be colored. Might be worth checking out!

Happy mapping,
    Meghan

2. 2 Posted by RUSSELL GUTHRIE on 05 Oct, 2020 09:08 PM

Thank you! I will try that…

Russ… :-)

3. Julie closed this discussion on 06 Oct, 2020 02:40 PM.

4. RUSSELL GUTHRIE re-opened this discussion on 12 Oct, 2020 03:00 PM

5. 3 Posted by RUSSELL GUTHRIE on 12 Oct, 2020 03:00 PM

Meghan…

Thank you very much. This is a game changer in the game of hunting big buck in the back mountains of PA! Any other idea will be researched.

Russ… :-)

6. Julie closed this discussion on 12 Oct, 2020 07:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Oct, 2020 02:39 AM
19 Oct, 2020 11:35 PM
19 Oct, 2020 07:09 PM