New to printing maps

avogt

08 Jul, 2020 12:07 AM

Hello
 I am new to printing maps,
I do understand maps thoroughly.
 I am currently in West by God Virginia I know wv backcountry well.
 I hope to use your so far awesome program and will buy a subscription.
 But 1st I would like to speak to someone to help me through being able to print to full page. I bought a printer which can print many sizes.
 I would like to begin by printing a 1:24000 scale map to an 8.5x11
 Or please excuse my technical deficiencies and ....
  I have spent SOME time in the Sierras and now I'm back tn wv.
Please help.
I can print, but I need your assistance.
Thank you and Kind regards,
  Alton

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 08 Jul, 2020 03:52 PM

Hello Alton,

Thanks for reaching out! Once you have made your map that you wish to print, click "Print" in the upper menu bar. In the dropdown menu that appears, select "Print to PDF or JPG". A new tab will open. The left side bar has options for printing; you'll want to select 8.5x11 for page size and 1:24000 fir scale (please see attached screenshot). The red semi-transparent rectangle is the print area- you can click and grab the center of the rectangle to change the print area or adjust the arrows on the sides. Click "Generate PDF" when you are happy with your settings and print area and a new tab will open with your PDF that you can print.

It sounds like you aren't new to maps and the backcountry but are relatively new to CalTopo. Here is a resource you might find helpful that walks you through making your first map (including printing your map!)- its a great way to start getting to know some of the tools CalTopo offers: https://help.caltopo.com/kb/basics/getting-started-with-caltoposartopo

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 08 Jul, 2020 03:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac