Importing GPX files for trails

Mary Kwart

05 Jun, 2020 07:47 PM

I want to create a custom map for a 221 mile backpack in northern California and southern Oregon. I want to combine GPX tracks for trails I will follow on the background map layers I choose. I need to delete the trail sections I won't be using--example: I will be hiking on the Bigfoot trail in Northern Cal, but only need a section of the trail. How do I just show the sections of trail I will be hiking? I have the gpx tracks for the trails, but need to combine them to make my trail, while deleting the parts I don't need.

Can I import the gpx files for an entire trail in CalTopo, then delete the sections I don't want to show on the map?
Thanks
--Mary Kwart
[email blocked]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 05 Jun, 2020 09:43 PM

Hi Mary,

Thanks for reaching out! You can definitely delete sections of a gpx track that you have imported into your map. After you have imported the gpx track into your map, click on the track at the point where you would like the track to start or end. Select "split" from the menu that appears- this will split the line at the point where you clicked. You'll then see a new track show up in the left sidebar. Simply delete the track of the section that you will not be hiking and it will disappear from the map.

I hope this helps answer your question. Your trip sounds amazing!

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 05 Jun, 2020 09:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac