High resolution Lidar data availability

Robin Baker

04 Jun, 2020 05:49 PM

I am working with maps here in Oregon, SE of Mt. Hood in the Gate Creek area (Barlow Road) and noticed that high resolution data didn't seem to be available. I typically use the Shaded Relief, Normal layer to view detail, moving the slider to 100%. The same area accessed through the DOGAMI website (https://gis.dogami.oregon.gov/maps/lidarviewer/) shows much more detail.

How often is the CatTopo Lidar elevation data updated? Is the lower resolution experienced in CalTopo simply due to the elevation data not being updated? Other areas such as on Mt. Hood itself, are high resolution when viewed in CalTopo in the same manner described above.

Is there a better way to view Lidar elevation data in CalTopo?

Thanks, Robert

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 04 Jun, 2020 11:43 PM

Hi Robert,

CalTopo LIDAR data primarily comes from the 3DEP program and is up to 1m resolution. Where that higher resolution data is unavailable we supplement with 1/3 arc second data or lower resolution data from the National Elevation Dataset. As the 3DEP program expands their coverage we will periodically update our coverage. We know that some local regions and municipalities have more up to date data, but due to the extremely piecemeal nature of that data we are relying on their submission and inclusion in 3DEP.

We take the accuracy of the data very seriously and want there to be well-filtered and corrected data before we integrate it into our platform.

Best,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2020 11:43 PM.

3. Robin Baker re-opened this discussion on 05 Jun, 2020 12:53 AM

4. 2 Posted by Robin Baker on 05 Jun, 2020 12:53 AM

Julie,

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'll have to be patient....

Robert

5. Meghan closed this discussion on 05 Jun, 2020 03:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac