Help with Trailtech Voyager Pro Map Creation

Travis Jacobs

30 May, 2020 06:47 AM

Hello CalTopo Support Team,

I have been trying to use some of the provided PDF maps (GPS enabled) to convert into a GPX format which can be loaded on to a Trailtech Voyager Pro unit but I have running into nothing but issues. Do you have any suggestions on how I can convert the attached PDF map into a GPX file which has an image overlay of the trial map?

I have group of guys who'd LOVE to use that PDF map but the Trailtech Voyager Pro only allows GPX files to be uploaded.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis Jacobs
971-570-1720

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 30 May, 2020 06:17 PM

Hi there,
    We've been working with trailtech on some neat projects, we may have a better solution at some point. However right now from PDF you can't easily create a GPX file. They are different data types (Raster v. Vector). Here's what you can do however right now is upload and align the PDF to our software add opacity to it, and trace the routes with a line object, which you can then export as a GPX.

To do this...go to caltopo. Create a marker on the map (can be anywhere really just required to save a map). Upper Left corner Save this Map in red - name the map. Then head to add layer - geospatial image, upload the PDF file, you'll need to hand align the image since it doesn't appear to be "georeferenced", follow the directions to align it. After alignment you can head to the right top corner menu which has all the layers, and adjust your custom PDF overlay to have whatever opacity you find comfortable. Then you'll head to Add Object - Line, and click on each point to trace the line. Double click to finish the line and name it appropriately.

Totally cumbersome, but if you want to get a few trails into your Voyager that is the best way to do it right now.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 30 May, 2020 06:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac