Status of GPS i/o

Sparks

02 Jan, 2020 03:56 AM

What's the status of GPS i/o (GPSIO)? I've had a question regarding its use by another team and so I'm digging into it to attempt to figure out how to make it work. Problem is, I'm running Linux and my Python is a bit weak so trying to troubleshoot what I'm seeing from running the install.py script isn't working. I'm not actually sure if this is ready for Linux (which, come on, all the basic components are already there...) but I also need to make sure it's working under Windoze, of which I don't have access to. :)

All that said... is this ready for me to start testing?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Jan, 2020 05:58 AM

Yes, it's in use and should be something you can install and use. Keep in mind it's effectively a hobby project where the primary benefit is reading data off older non-USB-mass-storage Garmin GPSs, and browser plugin security constraints mean that there are a unfortunately a lot of moving parts that all need to get installed into the correct location, with that location varying depending on the exact setup of your computer.

So it works great once installed, but smoothing over the installation process isn't something we can devote a lot of effort to.

What specific issues are you running into with the install.py script?

2. 2 Posted by Eric on 10 Feb, 2020 07:48 PM

Looks like linux is not completely defined in the installer. Update these settings parameters in the install.py and it should work on linux. As long as you have gpsbabel installed already.

DEFAULT_HOST_LOCATION = {
        'win32': os.path.join(os.path.expanduser('~'), 'gpsio'),
        'darwin': os.path.join(os.path.expanduser('~'), 'Library/com.caltopo.gpsio'),
        'linux': '/opt/gpsio'
    }

DEFAULT_GPSBABEL_DIR = {
        'win32': 'GPSBabel',
        'darwin': 'GPSBabelFE.app',
        'linux': '/usr/bin'
    }

DEFAULT_GPSBABEL_NAME = {
        'win32': 'gpsbabel.exe',
        'darwin': 'contents/MacOS/gpsbabel',
        'linux': 'gpsbabel'
    }

DEFAULT_GPSBABEL_SEARCHPOINTS = {
    'win32': ['c:/Program Files','c:/Program Files (x86)','c:/GPSBabel'],
    'darwin': ['/Applications',os.path.join(os.path.expanduser('~'), 'Applications')],
    'linux': ['/usr/bin']
    }

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 02 Mar, 2020 01:26 AM

Thanks Eric, installer has been updated. Sorry for the delay - things have been a little busy getting a new version of the app out the door.

4. matt closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2020 04:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac