Overlays - methods to create and information to view

steve.levy

09 Jan, 2022 11:47 PM

I have created a couple of overlays using custom sources and map sheets. Obviously they display over a basemap and the added features (markers, assignments, etc). In addition we have information that is included on some of our maps via file import of a geojson as sort of an overlay. This information includes graphics with data (in the comment area, color, etc) that describes the feature when one selects a given item.

What I would like to do for our team is provide an overlay (or whatever you would like to call it) that acts like the imported geojson (provides both a graphic and information) but that can be included in the right side menu as is done with overlays and basemaps versus having to search, select and import a file. This 'overlay' could be set by the author to be static or editable by the end user. One such use may be to include LZs on a map that are selectable such that one can see the source of the LZ, its exact coordinates (like a marker) and any other information of importance. In this case the 'overlay' items would most likely not be editable.

I assume this cannot be done with any overlay creation methods currently available? Any suggestions on how this could be implemented with current capabilities?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 14 Jan, 2022 07:24 PM

Hello Steve,

I'm pretty sure you are well aware of the current options available for custom layers (which is how you would display data from an outside source as an overlay or layer in the right side Map Layers menu) but just in case here is the section in our user guide that covers the available options: https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/base-layers/custom3

Those are the options that are currently available. Beyond that, I do not know of any way to implement what you are suggesting. We are exploring options for more easily moving data between your saved maps which could possibly provide a means to do what you're asking; however we are currently in the midst of some major projects and it would not happen anytime in the near future.

Best,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Jan, 2022 03:13 AM
20 Jan, 2022 02:54 AM
20 Jan, 2022 01:33 AM