ZOLEO

jlehman

25 Jul, 2021 04:55 PM

There are a few new players on the satellite tracker front. I've recently started using a Zoleo device, and prefer it to the InReach for messaging. IT doesn't have many of the features that InReach does, but since I mostly use it for messaging, I don't miss them.

Any thought to adding Zoleo to the mix to include in SARTopo? It does have a simple "report position" message type that is nothing more than a set of coordinates in decimal degrees.

Thanks,
JL

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 26 Jul, 2021 04:02 PM

It's not something we've done yet, but if they have the ability to setup your device to push location reports to SARTopo, ingesting their message syntax is not a big hurdle. Sounds like you have documentation on the message format and would be happy to work with us to test? If so, send me an email directly.

2. 2 Posted by Klay R. on 30 Jul, 2021 06:17 PM

Myself and some other local SARTopo users have also started using Zoleo devices and it would be great to have the ability to plot position reports directly into SARTopo. Zoleo has the ability to setup up contacts to use an e-mail, SMS, and their mobile app. I'm assuming the e-mail method would be the easiest to get into SARTopo. A "chat" e-mail message sent with location is simply the lat/lon in decimal degrees to 5 decimal points (i.e. ##.#####, -##.#####) for the body in base64 ASCII encoding with a subject of "<device name> has sent a message". The From address will be the e-mail assigned to that account (*@zoleo.com). The "Check-In" e-mail messages have a subject of "Check-in message from <device name>" and then a base64 text encoded html message body with additional information including device details, the message with location and timestamp, and links to view the location on Google maps. I would be happy to assist with testing if needed.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 03 Aug, 2021 08:35 PM

I've started looking into this, but we've had email parsing for SPOT checkin-in messages for a while, and it's been a mess from a user experience perspective because it's tied to a check-in message rather than the usual trackpoints.

If Zoleo would forward trackpoints as they come in, this would be a no-brainer. But with a check-in email - what's the plan? How often are you planning on sending check in emails? How long would you expect the dot to appear on SARTopo for, before disappearing?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Sep, 2021 01:18 AM
23 Sep, 2021 11:43 PM
23 Sep, 2021 02:31 PM