Adding waypoints to an existing track/line

Kirk Shultz

19 Jul, 2021 04:49 PM

Occasionally, I'll pause a track, then after starting out again, remember to resume the track. When I get home and import the track, a straight line connects the pause and resume points, which is what I'd expect. I want to be able to manually add waypoints to reflect my actual route. To a degree of detail, anyway. I can't find any way to do that. Sorry if this subject is already covered. I couldn't find it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 19 Jul, 2021 05:58 PM

Hi Kirk,

You can't edit the official track object. What you can do is add the track to a saved map and edit it as a line object. In that manner you can "add" points by dragging the existing points. Each time you drag a point it will add new intermediate points. There's additional info at https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/objects/existing-lines

Thanks,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2021 05:58 PM.

3. Kirk Shultz re-opened this discussion on 19 Jul, 2021 07:26 PM

4. 2 Posted by Kirk Shultz on 19 Jul, 2021 07:26 PM

So, I'm not adding to the total number of waypoints, but stretching them out and moving them down the line to fill in the missing data from my original track? That's what I started to do, but wondered if I had an option. I didn't see any new intermediate points show up, but maybe I guess I just thought they were already there and only became visible as I stretched the waypoints out. I assumed there was only one intermediate point between waypoints. Is that true. Thanks.

While I have your attention, my current subscription is a Pro (legacy). Will it renew as a new Pro subscription? what is the difference?

Peace,
              Kirk 

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 19 Jul, 2021 07:29 PM

Hi Kirk,

It depends on which waypoints you are moving. If you move the more obvious points, it will not add new ones, but if you move the intermediate "ghost" points, then those will become new "real" points with new "ghost" points in between. Does that makes sense?

As a user with one of CalTopo’s legacy accounts, you are welcome to continue your current subscription with your current feature set. CalTopo plans were revised at the start of 2021. All new subscribers are able to only select from new plans.

The changes in our plan structure were to make subscriptions simpler to understand focusing mobile specific tools into the “mobile” plan, more complex web based tools into the “pro” plan, and desktop computer focused tools into “desktop” plans. An overview of these plans is found at {{server.name}}/join.

Users with legacy plans are welcome to move to an updated plan, or to upgrade their subscription, however we are no longer start new subscriptions with these legacy plan types or downgrade/upgrade users to legacy plan types. Currently there are no features available in our new plans that are not available in a legacy plan, however as we add additional new features to the CalTopo platform, we are unable to guarantee that these features will be added to old plan types.

Hope that helps,
    Julie

6. Julie closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2021 07:29 PM.

7. Kirk Shultz re-opened this discussion on 19 Jul, 2021 07:58 PM

8. 4 Posted by Kirk Shultz on 19 Jul, 2021 07:58 PM

Thanks, that all makes sense. Just one more question. If I upgrade to the new plan now, will I be charged now, or, since the price is the same, will it just renew in a week, when my renewal is scheduled. I budgeted for the renewal after this coming payday, but want to upgrade for any new features in the future.

Peace,
              Kirk 

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Julie on 19 Jul, 2021 08:35 PM

Hey Kirk,

Because they plans are the same price, it wouldn't charge you anything until your renewal date. However, for now you would actually loose access to a couple features if you moved to the newer subscription types. You might want to wait until we announce that something will only be available on the new plans to upgrade. I don't recall off the top of my head what features you would lose - I think maybe custom mapbuilder topo moves to desktop only. I wouldn't want you to switch without realizing that.

Thanks,
    Julie

10. 6 Posted by Kirk Shultz on 19 Jul, 2021 09:14 PM

Thanks. I'll wait.

Peace,
              Kirk 

11. Julie closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2021 09:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jul, 2021 06:22 PM
27 Jul, 2021 05:24 PM
27 Jul, 2021 04:50 PM