map base and overlay

Michael Houfek

10 May, 2021 11:36 AM

Is there a way to save the selected map overlays and base maps? Every time I return to my map it starts over with a default map base.

1. 1 Posted by Tom on 10 May, 2021 05:05 PM

Michael Houfek, I'm a fellow CTU ("CalTopop User").

One approach that might work, that I have used:
    1) Create a CalTopo map with the base layers, overlays, and opacity levels you want.
    2) Add 1 object to the map.
    3) Save the map.
    4) Delete the 1 object you added from the saved map.

Then, when you want to start with the base layers, overlays, and opacity levels in the map you saved:
    5) Load the map using "Your Data/Your Maps"
    6) Close the map by licking on "circle-X Close"

I think you will have a map where the URL of the map contains the information for the base layers, overlays, and opacity levels you specified above.

Let me know if this is helpful and if it works for you.

(You can also simply bookmark the URL of the map you created in step 1 above, but the above steps allow you to access the map you created from within the CalTopo phone apps.)

2. 2 Posted by Mike Houfek on 10 May, 2021 07:48 PM

No it did not work for me. I am using the program on a desktop if that matters. I wish it just had a "save" button.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 10 May, 2021 09:05 PM

HI Mike,

In CalTopo, you can only save a particular view if you have a map saved with an object on it. That's what Tom is getting at about adding the marker, saving the map, then deleting the object from that saved map so that you essentially have a saved set of layers only. It's a few extra steps, but that is one work around.

Otherwise, at this time we don't have a way for the map viewer to always load with a particular set of base layers and overlays of your choice. However, when you do save a map after adding objects to the map viewer, you can choose to tell it to always open that particular saved map with the current layers.

Here is a description of the difference between blank, draft, and saved maps: https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/share/blank-draft-saved
    If you look at this image, you will see the box where you can check it to have it show the same layers on each load of that map.
    https://training.caltopo.com/user/pages/all_users/09.%20collaborate...

Thanks,
    Julie

4. Julie closed this discussion on 10 May, 2021 09:05 PM.

5. Mike Houfek re-opened this discussion on 11 May, 2021 12:35 AM

6. 4 Posted by Mike Houfek on 11 May, 2021 12:35 AM

I have several objects, lines and routes on this map. Every time i open it up to work on it, it defaults back to a base layer MapBuilder Topo, TF Outdoors which are not the ones I was using or want. I understand what you are saying about an object has to be there to save but I have plenty of items on here.

7. 5 Posted by Mike Houfek on 11 May, 2021 12:39 AM

It does seem to be working afterall. It just takes a little while to load the correct map. Thank you

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Julie on 11 May, 2021 02:43 PM

Ok, thanks for the update! If you have a lot of map layers stacked on top of each other, than can sometimes slow it down as it has to load all of them even if the display is set to 0% on some of those layers.

Thanks,
    Julie

9. Julie closed this discussion on 11 May, 2021 02:43 PM.

10. Mike Houfek re-opened this discussion on 12 May, 2021 02:31 PM

11. 7 Posted by Mike Houfek on 12 May, 2021 02:31 PM

After working with this I figured out that when I save a map after creating for the first time there is a prompt with selections. This is where I needed to select "save maps upon reload". This is the solution to my issues. thank you

12. 8 Posted by Tom on 12 May, 2021 02:45 PM

Mike,
    I should have included the detail about checking that box in step 3)"Save the map" above.

I apologize.

-Tom

13. 9 Posted by Mike Houfek on 12 May, 2021 05:29 PM

I thought I had checked it. Glad I got it working. Thanks for replying with suggestions. Very nice to have help.

14. Julie closed this discussion on 12 May, 2021 05:57 PM.

15. Mike Houfek re-opened this discussion on 13 May, 2021 03:02 PM

16. 10 Posted by Mike Houfek on 13 May, 2021 03:02 PM

Is there a way to send the map base layers and overlays to my gps? I have watched many youtube videoes and not sure? So far when I export to basecamp then to my handheld garmin unit only the routes and waypoints(markers) are tranferred. Really want the maps on my garming if possible. thanks

17. 11 Posted by Tom on 13 May, 2021 05:54 PM

18. 12 Posted by Mike Houfek on 13 May, 2021 06:55 PM

Thanks Tom,

One thing is that I do not have a "downloads" box under my data. I find it frustrating that I don't have the same Caltopo I am using on my desktop as the app version for smart phones. I will keep trying later tonight.

19. Support Staff 13 Posted by Meghan on 13 May, 2021 11:32 PM

I would also suggest checking out exporting MBTiles to your Garmin GPS as well: https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/print/print3#kmz. You'll have to do it from the web app but it will allow you to download a KMZ file of your map that includes background layers and map objects. You can then load that file into your GPS device and view it there.

Best,
    Meghan

20. Meghan closed this discussion on 13 May, 2021 11:32 PM.

21. Mike Houfek re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2021 11:38 AM

22. 14 Posted by Mike Houfek on 14 May, 2021 11:38 AM

I don't have a smart phone so do not use an app. I did get it loaded to my garmin though. I will try your suggestion also. thank you

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

13 Jun, 2021 10:00 AM
12 Jun, 2021 01:42 AM
12 Jun, 2021 12:14 AM
11 Jun, 2021 10:25 PM