Better search (and return to previous view when the search location is wrong)

youngortho

20 Nov, 2020 05:22 PM

Currently when you search for a location and then hit "go", it will take you to the location that Caltopo thinks best matches your search term. The issues with this are:

1. The location Caltopo thinks I want is often wrong and changes the map view to the incorrect location
2. After changing the map view to the incorrect location there is now no easy way to get back to the previous map view

My suggestion would be to use a real time search such that as you type it shows a dropdown with matching locations. The attached image shows how Gaia handles searches.

Also, please add a 'back' or "return to previous view" button so that the user can return to the previous view after being taken to the search result view.

One workaround I have been using is to add the state, so for example in the attached image I could have used 'Divide Mountain, AK" if I knew the mountain was in Alaska or "Mirror Lake, Sierra". However, that often doesn't work when there are multiple correct locations in that area. For example 'twin lakes, sierra' doesn't work as there are multiple twin lakes in the Sierra.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 20 Nov, 2020 09:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback! You are correct that common names can be tricky to search for and you can narrow your search further by entering in more specific search terms that will help you hone in on the area you are looking for. For example you can search for "Twin Lakes, Mammoth Lakes, CA" and that will return the Twin Lakes near Mammoth or you can search "Twin Lakes, Bridgeport, CA" and that will return the Twin Lakes near Bridgeport.

I will add your other suggestions to our future development board for consideration. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!
    Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 20 Nov, 2020 09:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac