Database backup

John Pictin

29 Jun, 2020 01:04 AM

I am curious to know if it would be possible for SARTopo Desktop (offline) to have an automated backup feature?

Here are some suggestions for how it might work:

* On map save you are prompted as to whether you want the auto backup enabled for this map or not
* Backup file location and frequency would be set as global settings in the config menu
* At the specified interval (default 60 minutes) the full backup to geojson runs and creates the backup files
* Each file is stored in a subdirectory called <mapname> and the file is <mapname><timestamp>.geojson
* In the event that you want to go back to a snapshot in time for review or recovery you simply start a new map, import the appropriate geojson and save the new map with a new name
* It would be helpful if the backup directory supported local folders and UNC pathnames in the event that you are storing the files on another machine and the drive mapping is temporarily lost.
* A checkbox could be added to the My Maps dialogue under Offline User where the backup could also be selectively turned on or off.

That's just an idea. Come to think of it, that snapshot method might have another use as well. It is one way to load up a default package of custom layers and settings that reflect how you set up your maps for tasks, if you follow my drift. You could potentially load predefined objects like fleetsync trackers so that they don't need to be recreated for each task.

I am getting off of my main thought, scheduled backups. Is it possible? Is there a better way?

John

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 30 Jun, 2020 04:58 PM

Hi John,

We don't have anything set up for this right now, other than the good 'ol sync feature. In order to keep a record of changes over time, you would just have to save the JSONs manually for now.

As per usual, I've logged this onto our development board for further research and development. We are working quickly to squash bugs, and add new features to the application. To facilitate tracking requests and duplicates, we're going to close this ticket, but be assured we're working on it! If this thread is publicly viewable and another user has the same or similar issue, please comment here to reopen the thread!

Thanks!
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2020 04:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac