CalTopo GPX Waypoints

bob.pickering

12 Nov, 2021 09:10 PM

I’m not sure whether this is a bug, an unexpected feature change, or just my lack of knowledge. Whatever it is, I need help.

I use the same GPX files with CalTopo (Windows 10 PC) and Backcountry Navigator Pro (Android phone). My GPX files include “<sym>navred</sym>” for all waypoints. Waypoints that I import from GPX files and markers that I manually create in CalTopo used to appear as a red point. If I edit them, they show a style and color. Recently, waypoints that I import from GPX files show a black point, no style, and no color. When I export a GPX file, CalTopo does not include any color or style information, even for waypoints that have this information. (This may not be a new behavior.)

Defaulting to no style and no color on imported waypoints is causing me considerable grief. How can I get this working again? Also, I would love to see documentation on what CalTopo does and does not support in GPX files. Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by caver456 on 12 Nov, 2021 09:17 PM

Hi Bob - just another user here - I also started seeing the same
    GPX-imported-markers-are-now-black-instead-of-red issue in the last week or
    so.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Julie on 16 Nov, 2021 07:47 PM

Hi Guys,

This is a new bug, and the team is taking a look at it. Thanks for alerting us!

Best,
    Julie

3. 3 Posted by bob.pickering on 14 Jan, 2022 05:46 PM

It’s been two months. Are you going to fix this, or just “take a look at it”?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Meghan on 15 Jan, 2022 12:59 AM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reaching back out! We did fix the original issue where the imported marker had no symbol and instead rendered as a big white circle. Imported markers should now render as a black point. However it does appear that the color is not selectable and is instead showing up as N/A, which may be a different bug. I've submitted this our development team to address; however we are in the midst of some pretty large projects right now so it will be a while until they are able to dig into it.

As a workaround for the time being, you can make the color selectable though by changing the style of the marker.

Hope that helps,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Waypoint_without_Style_and_Color.jpg 13.2 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Jan, 2022 02:44 PM
22 Jan, 2022 01:00 PM
22 Jan, 2022 04:23 AM