Maps Too Big to Load - How to Cut?

Max McDermott

13 Oct, 2021 04:24 PM

Hi Caltopo Community,

(I'm not sure this is the correct forum in which to post this - feel free to delete & I'll post in the correct place)

I've got a couple maps that load so slowly they're unusable, even on desktop. I'd like to keep using & building these maps, they're living documents for me. What can I do to divide up the content of these maps? For instance, I currently have one map that documents interesting spots to visit on a coast to coast motorcycle trip I'm planning, and I could split it up into west coast, east coast, rocky mtns, great plains, etc.

Thanks,

Max

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 13 Oct, 2021 10:11 PM

Hi Max,

I have a couple of suggestions for you to help you manage large data sets:

• Consider breaking your mapping information into a series of smaller maps- potentially by region or area (which it sounds like you are already considering). We are planning to add account level folders in the future (although I don't have an exact date on when that will occur) but you could potentially do something like organize all the smaller maps for an area into one common folder in the future. The Copy to New Map function in the export menu can make the process of breaking up maps even easier- check out this section of our user guide to learn more.
    • Create folders to organize data within a map. When you create a folder, you'll have the option to set whether or not the objects in the folder are visible on page load. Turning off visibility on page load for folders that you don't need all the time can greatly help with loading/processing speeds. Individual users can still turn on the folders if they need to view the items in them- they just won't be visible automatically. You can find out more about setting folder visibility in this section of our user guide.
    • Turning off labels for map objects also helps with loading/processing time. You can turn off the labels for all map objects, select map objects or set it by folder using the Settings menu. More information on the Show Labels setting can be found in this section of our user guide. Please note that the Show Labels setting does not persist between page loads so it has to be set by each user when they view the map.

Hope that helps!
    Best,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

26 Oct, 2021 06:15 PM
26 Oct, 2021 05:52 PM
26 Oct, 2021 05:31 PM