Google Earth Superoverlay - MapBuilder Overlay doesn't work

Ellery

13 Sep, 2021 06:13 PM

Hi There,

Yesterday (9/12) I was able to visualize OSM data in 3D in Google Earth using the Superoverlay KML link with the MapBuilder Overlay layer enabled. Today (9/13), that layer does not load. Other superoverlay elements load fine, such as scanned topos, EOX imagery, and so on. I have rebooted, cleared Google Earth preferences, deleted and re-downloaded the Superoverlay KML network link a good half dozen times. Reset internet connection, tried a different laptop, tried a different internet connection - same result; appears to me to be an issue on CalTopo's end.

What is interesting is that when enabling the Mapbuilder Overlay in Google Earth, there is a noticeable performance hit to the program. When enabling that layer currently, even though the data does not display, there is still the major performance hit. So it is trying to do "something" still but just isn't displaying the OSM data from that layer.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 13 Sep, 2021 09:24 PM

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out! I was able to reproduce your issue- currently the MapBuilder Overlay are showing up for me in Google Earth via the KML superoverlay link. I also found that fixed or gradient Slope Angle Shading is not showing up either. I have passed this report along to our developers to address. I don't have an exact timeline on when they will get to it- we're currently in the midst of some big projects- but I wanted to let you know it's on our radar to fix.

Thanks for taking the time to report this issue and thanks for using CalTopo!
    Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2021 09:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

26 Oct, 2021 06:15 PM
26 Oct, 2021 05:52 PM
26 Oct, 2021 05:31 PM