MBTiles taking forever and a day to download

Darryl

26 Jul, 2021 06:56 PM

Hello,
Newly subscribed PRO user here... figured I'd give your service a 'go' as I need a good solution to getting maps onto my newly acquired Trail Tech Voyager Pro.

I've noticed that while recently (over the last week) trying to 'print' an area via the MBTiles format -- it's taking an extremely long time to download and most times I'm not getting anything but a blank screen and nothing in my browser downloads OR downloads folder on my computer. ☹️

Computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019)
Browser: Chrome v91.0.4472.164
Internet: Fiber / gigabit (wired)

I finally got the MBTiles to download, but couldn't upload the file as it was too large apparently... Please LMK if there is anything else you'd like to see!

1. 1 Posted by Darryl on 26 Jul, 2021 08:37 PM

Here, for example is a download of MBTiles that I _cannot_ get to work...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Julie on 26 Jul, 2021 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info, Darryl. You've maybe seen that we've had a number of users running into this problem. We're still working on diagnosing it. Thanks for your patience.

3. 3 Posted by Darryl on 26 Jul, 2021 08:52 PM

Noted, I look forward to the fix! :)

I wish I could edit my original post... that last bit is kinda confusing. Sorry about that!

What I was _trying_ to say was:
    "I finally got the MBTiles to download, and thought that _maybe_ you all could benefit from peeking at the file (maybe some metadata in there you could use?) but couldn't upload the file as it was too large apparently... Please LMK if there is anything else you'd like to see!" ;)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Julie on 26 Jul, 2021 09:00 PM

Ohh, ok, so the trail tech device did not limit the size it could import?

5. 5 Posted by Darryl on 26 Jul, 2021 09:05 PM

No, not that I've experienced (yet!).

I was saying that the MBTiles file that finally downloaded to my machine was too large to upload to this forum... I thought maybe y'all would've been able to look at the file and get more info for debugging...

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Julie on 26 Jul, 2021 09:43 PM

Thanks for clarifying!

7. 7 Posted by Darryl on 28 Jul, 2021 06:06 PM

@Julie -- not sure if you all pushed some fixes over the last few days... but downloading satellite image maps (via MBTiles) with the MVUM layer enabled have been completing MUCH faster!

Under my PRO subscription, I seem to be capped at 8,000 tiles -- I have been downloading right up to that limit with great success over the past 2 days. I've noticed that doing it later at night works much faster! Maybe less traffic?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know... and I think it's safe to close this ticket for now if you'd like.

Thanks for your prompt replies tho!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Ben Lantow on 28 Jul, 2021 06:38 PM

Hi Darryl,
    We made a few updates to try to get the process to move a little faster, we also made it more robust if there is a failure of a tile during the process which used to immediately terminate the MBTiles creation.

You're correct, it is capped at 8000 tiles - that's still a fairly practical limit with regard to file size and generation time.

You are also correct that during off hours there could be more server resources available resulting in a slightly faster tile generation time, though the different shouldn't be too significant.

Thanks for letting us know.

9. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 28 Jul, 2021 06:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

21 Oct, 2021 06:25 PM
21 Oct, 2021 05:04 PM
21 Oct, 2021 04:39 PM
19 Oct, 2021 09:25 PM