Map not filling in when trying to zoom in on the app

Larry Hoffman

16 Jun, 2021 11:44 PM

I returned from a 7 day trip in the Emigrant Wilderness yesterday and encountered a serious problem in the app where if you tried to zoom in on the map it would only partially fill in or not fill in at all. To get it to fill you would have to zoom out to a level that was hindering navigation. I have not had this problem in several previous trips using the app.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 17 Jun, 2021 06:22 PM

Hi Larry,

Sorry you had trouble with the app! I just did a, 4-day trip in the high sierra myself, with no zoom issues. Let's try and narrow down the problem a little more. What app version were you using and what device were you on? Did you have standard, high, or max downloads for the area you were in? What specific layers were you using?

Thanks,
    Julie

2. 2 Posted by Larry Hoffman on 17 Jun, 2021 09:46 PM

Hi Julie,
    The app version is 0.7.10. I am on a OnePlus 5T phone (A5010), Android version 10. I assume I had standard downloads for the area but not sure what that means. I was using one of the MapBuilder base layers with the default shading. Next time I'll be using the Scanned Topos for the base layer with no shading.

Thanks,
    Larry

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, 11:23:02 AM PDT, Julie <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 17 Jun, 2021 11:18 PM

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing all of that.

Just to confirm, before leaving for the trip, did you download the background tiles for the area, as per the instructions on this page?

What do you mean by "default shading?" Did you have one of the overlays turned on, such as slope angle shading?

Was it always the same area of the map that would not load, or did some spots sometimes load, and then not load at other times? Or were you never able to load any areas if you zoomed in?

Thanks,
    Julie

4. 4 Posted by Larry Hoffman on 18 Jun, 2021 01:53 PM

Hi Julie,
    I did not download the background tiles for the area. And though I thought I remembered having slope angle shading turned on, I did not have any of the overlays turned on and no slope angle shading.
    It seemed random which parts of the map would load or not load at various zoom levels. Sometimes parts would load, and there were sometimes when the whole map would not load. I was never able to zoom enough for acceptable navigation levels without losing most or all of the map. Once I zoomed back out far enough the whole map would load. Then as I would try to zoom back in the problem would repeat.

I just read the documentation on downloading the background tiles and how if you don't you might be able to use the cached tiles. Also how the maps are just saved objects at specific coordinates. Sounds to me that his explains loosing the background tiles when zooming and why the trail objects were still visible on the blank background when I zoomed in.

Thanks,
    Larry

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, 4:18:36 PM PDT, Julie <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Julie on 18 Jun, 2021 03:08 PM

Great, glad we figured it out! Yes, cached tiles are not meant for use offline, and they will present the behavior you saw. If you download the appropriate tiles before heading out on your trip, they should work great at all the zoom levels.

Best,
    Julie

6. Julie closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2021 03:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Jul, 2021 12:48 AM
28 Jul, 2021 12:41 AM
27 Jul, 2021 05:24 PM