Persisting Layer and Label Visibility?

kepPNW

13 May, 2021 07:48 PM

Probably not a bug, but perhaps a feature suggestion? I can't find a way (on the desktop) to persist whether a given folder's labels are shown or not between loads of my maps.

How can I establish which layers are visible, and which are labeled, when a map is loaded? Not seeing any self-evident way to do that.

Thanks... Karl

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 13 May, 2021 11:44 PM

Hi Karl,

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking but I'll do my best to answer it. If I've misinterpreted your question, just let me know!

You can set certain base layers (MapBuilder Topo, NAIP, etc) to be visible on page load by clicking on the information icon (i icon on the left side of the map viewer) and then checking the box after Keep These Layers. You can also check this box when you initially save a map.

You can set labels for map objects to display or not display by clicking on Settings (upper right) and then choosing your desired label setting from the Show Labels drop down menu.

Check that out and see if it's what you're looking for!
    Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 13 May, 2021 11:44 PM.

3. kepPNW re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2021 12:11 AM

4. 2 Posted by kepPNW on 14 May, 2021 12:11 AM

Hi Meghan, 

Yeah, I guess I didn't do a great job describing it, there.  Familiar with the baselayer persistence, and was referring to the "layers" (realizing now I should've said Folders!) that I'd be adding over in the TOC.

Say I have a couple dozen Folders, but only want a handful visible when the map is loaded (got that part handled!), and of those just a few with labels turned on. I'm familiar with the Show Labels dropdown, and have it set to "By Folder," as I routinely toggle the Labels Shown/Labels Hidden based on the current scale of the map. Some are only useful when zoomed way in, and overwhelm the map when zoomed out.

So what I'm asking is, how do I save the map such that only Folders X,Y,Z have the labels turned on by default, and other layers turned off by default? It doesn't seem to save how they were last used, but rather is stuck at some "random"(?) point in the past. If it matters, I build maps on desktop, and use them both there and in the app.

Does this make any more sense?

Thanks... Karl

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 17 May, 2021 02:18 PM

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the further explanation of your question. I just checked with one of our developers and the behavior you are describing is the expected behavior- deselected map objects as well as the Labels Shown/Hidden setting do not persist between page loads; the expected behavior is that they reset between page loads.

Best,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 17 May, 2021 02:18 PM.

7. kepPNW re-opened this discussion on 17 May, 2021 05:43 PM

8. 4 Posted by kepPNW on 17 May, 2021 05:43 PM

Hi Meghan,

I think I see. Don't want to be overly pedantic about it, but I wasn't referring to (F5-type) page loads, but map loads. As when one first clicks the link to it.

So, just to be entirely clear...

It's unclear to me what was meant by "reset." Reset to what? Is that to say, the expected behavior is for all visible layers to have their labels shown when the map is loaded?

And is that the case regardless of which Show Labels setting (All / None / By Folder) you've chosen?

Was that a design decision, or could this be considered a feature request/suggestion?

Thanks... Karl

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 19 May, 2021 02:20 PM

Karl,

The expected behavior is that all map objects that are in a visible folder will be visible with their labels shown as long as the Settings for labels are All or By Folder, regardless of whether you had previously hidden the labels for a particular folder.

It sounds like you would like to request that Labels Shown/Labels Hidden persists between page/map loads. I will make a note of your feature request/suggestion for future consideration.

Best,
    Meghan

10. Meghan closed this discussion on 19 May, 2021 02:20 PM.

11. kepPNW re-opened this discussion on 19 May, 2021 03:34 PM

12. 6 Posted by kepPNW on 19 May, 2021 03:34 PM

Yes, thanks Meghan! Best supporting use-case, or at least one that should
    amply demonstrate the issue, would be a map of the PCT with half-mile
    markers along the entire route. That takes "forever!" to load, even when
    only one or two sections are toggled visible, and completely obscures the
    trail, making a map that covers more than a few sections impractical.
    Example showing Section B attached. Only real "workaround" are multiple
    Folders containing duplicate data, labeled and unlabeled, to be viewed at
    different zoom levels. Sample data: https://pctmap.net/gps/

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Meghan on 19 May, 2021 04:52 PM

Thanks for the additional explanation, Karl! And I'm happy to hear you found a workaround in the meantime.

Best,
    Meghan

14. Meghan closed this discussion on 19 May, 2021 04:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Jun, 2021 02:37 PM
13 Jun, 2021 10:00 AM
13 Jun, 2021 08:29 AM