CalTopo app loses GPS signal with phone screen off

jlagercrantz

06 Jul, 2020 05:08 PM

I'm having an issue with the CalTopo app not continuing to record tracks (seemingly because it loses GPS) if you leave my phone in my pocket for more than 5-10 mins. This is on a Samsung Galaxy S8. I don't have it in any power saver mode and I have also gone in to app battery optimizations and turned it off for CalTopo.
When I pull the app up after having put my phone away for 5-10 mins I often see that it appears to not know where I am with a couple sporadic track points prior to that (see screenshot).
I can't even get it to regain gps signal when this happens. I have to kill the app and reopen for it to regain GPS.

Is this an issue with my phone or the app?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 06 Jul, 2020 08:03 PM

Hi Jacob,

So basically, it's an issue with your phone rather than the app. Something is restricting background access to GPS. When the app is again in the foreground, it turns GPS use back on and you get another point at that time. Usually it's a battery setting issue, but since you say you have changed all that, I'd suggest maybe asking the internet about GPS conflicts on that phone model and how to adjust the settings.

Best,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2020 08:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac