SARTopo UI Update

dan.dawson

15 Apr, 2021 08:48 PM

Great work on this recent update!

Do you have a beta test group for major UI updates on the web side of things? If so, can I please get on that beta list?

I would have loved to have been aware of these updates ahead of time so I could prepared our Incident Management Team and our Mapping Team so they would be familiar with the updates when they went live. I'm quickly preparing resources for them and have also shared your recent blog post on it, so we're going to be fine, but if a SAR mission had popped up this morning it certainly would have caused some confusion ;-)

Thanks, and as always, nice work!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 15 Apr, 2021 08:57 PM

Hey Dan,
    Glad you like it, we all kept switching back and forth between the old and new layouts for a while. I found that the keyboard shortcuts were a game changer for me.

We did have a very small group of users look at the new UI prior to rollout, and we updated the user guide (training.caltopo.com) this AM with an old/new UI transition guide. I don't anticipate frequent large UI changes , we are much more likely to build incrementally on this new foundation.

Sorry your team was surprised, as I reference there is a user guide page dedicated to transitioning over (https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/getting-started/changes), and I did publish the blog post midday (which also links to the user guide).

Best,
    Ben

2. 2 Posted by dan.dawson on 15 Apr, 2021 10:12 PM

[email blocked]
    I found that the keyboard shortcuts were a game changer for me.

That was one of the new features I highlighted for my team! For people who use SARTopo a ton (like us!) it truly is going to save a bunch of time :-)

https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/getting-started/changes

Haha, I think I've only had ten emails back and forth with team members today trying to find things, so it could have been worse ;-) Thanks again!

I'll slip in one more item on this email since we're already talking:

A while back on CalTopo (mobile) Maps and Bookmarks used to be separated, then they got combined within Your Maps and Team Maps

I like how it cleaned up the navigation menu, but we actually don't love how the maps and bookmarks are all mixed together. A few notes:

• We try to archive all of our past mission maps quickly, so when missions come up there are only one or two Mission Maps in the list, makes it really easy for people to select the right map
    • With Bookmarks, we keep a lot of what we call "Reference Maps" there for quick access, but they aren't used very often directly for missions, so they are pretty much just in the way.

So here's my crazy wish-list on those:

Within the Your Maps or Team Maps folders I'd love to see:

• A filter interface at the top showing Maps and Bookmarks, so it would be super easy to select to show Maps, Bookmarks, or Both in that list. 
    • Adding a Search interface would be helpful for people who have a lot of maps listed.
    • Perhaps even having a sort order (I think it is Most Recent first now, which is great, but if I'm scanning a list of maps alphabetical might make that process easier. If you had Search I probably wouldn't need a sorting tool.

Dan Dawson  |  Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue Volunteer
    63333 West Hwy 20, Bend, OR 97701  |  Cell: 541.639.9270  |  Emergencies: 9-1-1
    Web: deschutessearchandrescue.org  |  Facebook: SearchAndRescueFoundation  |  Twitter: @SARFoundation

Deschutes County Sheriff's Search & Rescue

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 16 Apr, 2021 01:45 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback! I will share your input with our development team- we always appreciate hearing feedback from users. In the meantime, we are planning to add account-level folders in the future although I don't have a definite timeline on when that will occur. I imagine that could help address some the issues you raised!

Best,
    Meghan

4. Meghan closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2021 01:45 PM.

5. dan.dawson re-opened this discussion on 16 Apr, 2021 04:27 PM

6. 4 Posted by dan.dawson on 16 Apr, 2021 04:27 PM

One of my deputies is unable to print a map today, asked where the print icon is, I told him it should be above the ruler, but he's seeing a different icon there... any ideas?

My screen with the print icon:

His screen without the print icon:

7. 5 Posted by dan.dawson on 16 Apr, 2021 05:47 PM

Followup on this one, he sees this instead of a print icon:

But when I test it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, I see the print icon on all three:

I had him flush his browser cache, then I had him open the map in an incogneto window and he still says there is no print icon there.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ben Lantow on 16 Apr, 2021 05:58 PM

Dan,
    Theres a bug we're chasing down related to small screen sizes, or large font sizes, in the mean while on windows Ctrl-P, and on mac command-P trigger the print window to open. We hope to have a fix ASAP.

Ben

9. 7 Posted by dan.dawson on 16 Apr, 2021 06:06 PM

Thanks for the update, and the keyboard shortcut should work fine for him until then. He tried it on Edge and it worked fine, so he was able to print it before I even gave him the keyboard shortcut tip :-)

Thanks!

Dan Dawson | Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue Volunteer
    63333 West Hwy 20, Bend, OR 97701 | Cell: 541.639.9270 | Emergencies: 9-1-1
    Web: deschutessearchandrescue.org <https://www.deschutessearchandrescue.org/> | Facebook: SearchAndRescueFoundation <https://www.facebook.com/searchandrescuefoundation> | Twitter: @SARFoundation <https://twitter.com/SARFoundation>
      <https://www.deschutessearchandrescue.org/>

10. 8 Posted by Adam Kelly on 16 Apr, 2021 06:17 PM

Try using CTRL & - or CTRL & + to resize the browser window, then refresh the browser. This worked as a temporary fix to bring back the print icon for me!

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Ben Lantow on 16 Apr, 2021 07:13 PM

Dan,
    The fix has now been deployed to the server. Can you let us know after refreshing the page if your deputy still runs into any issues!

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Best,
    Ben

12. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2021 07:13 PM.

13. dan.dawson re-opened this discussion on 16 Apr, 2021 07:49 PM

14. 10 Posted by dan.dawson on 16 Apr, 2021 07:49 PM

[email blocked]
    The fix has now been deployed to the server. 

His response says it all: 

Wahooo....it works!

Thanks again for your work on this one!
  15. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2021 07:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Sep, 2021 08:02 PM
16 Sep, 2021 07:07 PM
16 Sep, 2021 06:13 PM