bookmarks to members' individual maps are showing up in the team account map list

caver456

12 Mar, 2021 02:30 AM

Just spoke with a team member who was having difficulty logging in, and was also concerned that the map she made and saved to her personal account, not to the team account, was showing up in the NCSSAR Maps list in the app. I see the same bookmark, and a few others - they show up in the same video from the blank-screen report a few minutes ago. Why do these bookmarks show up? They should not show up, right? Wondering if it's due to the login difficulties she was having, both with apple id and with yahoo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bQgwGA8obc8XskeK8

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 12 Mar, 2021 10:58 PM

I really can't tell which maps are of concern here. Just digging through things a bit, the bookmarks are listed in the NCSSAR bookmark list. I don't know that I'm looking at the right ones though. My guess is the maps got shared with some user who was able to add them as NCSSAR bookmarks. There are a few pathways that this could have happened. You probably should just go into the team bookmark list and remove the bookmarks.

2. Julie closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2021 10:58 PM.

3. caver456 re-opened this discussion on 13 Mar, 2021 12:05 AM

4. 2 Posted by caver456 on 13 Mar, 2021 12:05 AM

Huh - this is probably our team's misunderstanding of how the bookmarks
    could have gotten there. I'll ask a few of our team members who have
    access to the admin account if they know how or why they are there. What
    are the different pathways that they could have come to be?

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 14 Mar, 2021 08:37 PM

Any user with update privileges or above can create a bookmark (or an object such as a track, marker, etc). If the user selects the team account in the drop down when creating a bookmark that will do it. Users should be intentional about creating a personal bookmark not a team bookmark.

Best,
    Ben

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 14 Mar, 2021 08:37 PM.

7. caver456 re-opened this discussion on 14 Mar, 2021 11:17 PM

8. 4 Posted by caver456 on 14 Mar, 2021 11:17 PM

Is it possible to create a bookmark from the app?

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 15 Mar, 2021 08:18 PM

Yes it is possible. Go to the 3 bar menu> Your Maps (or Team Maps depending on where you want to add the bookmark)> Plus icon in the upper right hand corner. A Create Bookmark dialog will then pop up and you can add a bookmark.

10. Meghan closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2021 08:18 PM.

11. caver456 re-opened this discussion on 16 Mar, 2021 04:34 PM

12. 6 Posted by caver456 on 16 Mar, 2021 04:34 PM

Thanks, that's probably how someone inadvertently added the bookmarks.
    We'll try to track it down internally.

Is there any way to find out who added them?

Would it be possible to add a prominent note to the popup when adding a
    bookmark to the team account, something like "NOTE: You are about to add a
    bookmark to the NCSSAR Team Account. If you are the only one that needs
    it, go back and add a bookmark from Your Maps instead."

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Julie on 16 Mar, 2021 07:12 PM

We don't have a way to track or supply data re who added the bookmarks. The users just need to pay attention to which map list they. open to add the bookmark. If they go into Your Maps and add it, it will stay in their account. If they go into NCSSAR Maps to access the + button, it will be added to the team account.

14. Julie closed this discussion on 16 Mar, 2021 07:12 PM.

15. caver456 re-opened this discussion on 01 Jun, 2021 04:48 PM

16. 8 Posted by caver456 on 01 Jun, 2021 04:48 PM

Hello - we've been seeing more bookmarks show up in the team maps list. I believe it's still working exactly as you describe above, so you could definitely say it's a training issue, but could we turn this into a feature request? It would be extremely helpful if there were some guidance when folks hit the circle-plus at the top right of a map list.

Maybe a cyclic field in the bookmark creation dialog that asks whether the bookmark should be added to personal account or team account, defaulting to personal account / 'Your Maps' regardless of what map list was open when the bookmark was created.

For our team, I can not think of any occasions when someone would intentionally need to add a bookmark that would show up on everyone's phone. If that does happen, I'd suggest that some intentional confirmation would be the way to go. As it is now, I'd guess that a huge proportion of bookmark creation actions from the app are accidentally ending up in team accounts. Thanks

17. Support Staff 9 Posted by Ben Lantow on 01 Jun, 2021 06:36 PM

Tom,
    I double checked this behaviour just now to ensure there wasn't some sort of error and couldn't find any issue.

If you scan a QR code to add a bookmark it defaults to "My Account" not the team. If you go to Your Maps and hit the + it does correctly add to your personal account, not the team account.

The only way to get a book mark on the team account is to scan a QR and select the team (not the default) OR go to the team map list (not your maps) and use the + sign to add a bookmark. Those are both fairly intentional actions. Using a menu to then select if you wanted to bookmark to your personal account or team account after having to open the team map list first seems counter intuitive.

I understand that your team doesn't use bookmarks frequently in the team account, but there are plenty of teams that add a bookmark to another team's map when they are mutual aid for another organization. I would be concerned adding complexity for what is a common use case.

Best,
    Ben

18. 10 Posted by caver456 on 01 Jun, 2021 06:49 PM

Thanks, makes sense, I'm sure it's the circle-plus from the team map list
    that is being abused. We'll send out reminders to our folks. We just
    haven't had opportunity/need to add a team bookmark by URL (as opposed to
    QR code) yet.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Aug, 2021 11:06 PM
01 Aug, 2021 08:19 PM
01 Aug, 2021 03:35 PM