can the mobile app be made to read geospatial pdf maps

Gregg Aronson

24 Feb, 2021 04:00 AM

I have a whole bunch of geospatial pdf maps that I have generated with CalTopo and saved on my Android phone. There are also lots of geospatial pdf maps on several National Park websites. I had been using Avenza maps for GPS tracking on these maps, but they apparently broke something in their code and it no longer does GPS tracking on geospatial pdf maps. I am hoping that there might be a plan to add a tracking feature on the mobile app to track movement on geospatial pdf maps. Is this a possibility?

I have used the CalTopo mobile app for tracking on my online maps, and it works pretty well, but if I could use it to track my ofline geospatial pdf maps, I think my phone battery would last a lot longer.

1. 1 Posted by Gregg Aronson on 24 Feb, 2021 02:37 PM

I should note here (to be fair to Avenza) that not all users of Avenza are having problems with geospatial pdf tracking according to the reviews of the app. However, there are others who have reported tracking problems and problems with Avenza detecting and/or staying connected to GPS since their latest software release. I have also been in contact with Avenza about my current issue, and they are trying to see if they can fix it.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Meghan on 24 Feb, 2021 04:17 PM

Hi Gregg,

If you have a pro, desktop or team account, you can add geospatial PDFs such as the ones from NPS to your map as a Map Sheet. You can then save these map sheets to your account and access them from the mobile app. You can even download these map sheets for offline use so that you can use them on your mobile device without a data connection! The Map Sheets section on our training site covers this in much more detail.

When you use the mobile app for tracking, do you put your phone into airplane mode? As long as you have already downloaded any base layers or map sheets that you wish to use offline (you can find out more about using the mobile app offline here, I've found that putting my phone in airplane mode while traveling through the backcountry really helps to save my phone battery without affecting my tracking or navigation functions.

Hope this helps give you some ideas for how you might be able to use map sheets and the mobile app!
    Best,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Aug, 2021 11:06 PM
01 Aug, 2021 08:19 PM
01 Aug, 2021 03:35 PM