live tracking fail

David S

11 Dec, 2020 10:09 PM

I am really struggling with Caltopo. I have a basic membership. Today I wanted to try and navigate and record a track while travelling.
I got it started, the blue dot appeared and was moving as I moved... but after about one mile I "moved" right off the map onto a blank white screen. after a while I turned back and drove back onto the original map that was there when i started. I tried to Save the track...no idea where it went. I am used to working with Gaia and it so far seems a much better app for live navigation. I think Caltopo has better maps however. I have searched several videos for help and found nothing.
I would like to record my track, see where i am as I travel, and save the track in case I wish to view/use it later.
thanks in adavance
D

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 12 Dec, 2020 01:18 AM

Hi David,

There are a few steps to keep in mind when using CalTopo on the mobile app. First of all, you need to download the backgrounds - or base layers as we call them. If you don't download these ahead of time and then go out of cell service, you will end up in the blank white space. This could also happen if your base layer doesn't cover an area - for example the Forest Service layers do not cover the whole US.

When you save the track, it saves to your tracks - which you can access via the three-bar menu in the app (upper left corner) and look for "your tracks" in the menu. It only saves to a map if you actually have a saved map. A map in CalTopo is specific to a set of map objects, and not specific to the background. You can see our Getting Started guide for more information on this.

CalTopo has a bit of a learning curve to get started with it because we do offer a lot of features. Once you get familiar with some of the basics, we hope you will find it to be a great and useful tool.

Thanks,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 12 Dec, 2020 01:18 AM.

3. jackson3197-crap re-opened this discussion on 13 Dec, 2020 12:42 PM

4. 2 Posted by jackson3197-cra... on 13 Dec, 2020 12:42 PM

this screen  you show in the getting started page does NOT appear in my account view...neither does icons, or desktop access...when will the mobile app topics be posted in the Getting Started web page.... it just says " coming soon"...not terrible helpful as that is mostly what I am trying to dothanks 

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 08:18:31 PM EST, Julie <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 14 Dec, 2020 02:50 PM

David,

We're working hard on getting the mobile app content up on the training website- it should be live in the next few weeks so keep an eye out! What screen are you not seeing specifically? The screenshot you shared is the tab for downloading base layers from a computer to a Garmin GPS device. If you wish to download base layers for using the mobile app offline (as Julie described in her previous response), this article walks you through the process on your mobile device: Downloading Base Layers for Offline Use on the Mobile App.

Thanks,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 14 Dec, 2020 02:50 PM.

7. tobsav re-opened this discussion on 14 Dec, 2020 03:58 PM

8. 4 Posted by tobsav on 14 Dec, 2020 03:58 PM

I am slowly working thru it..... I  mostly have difficulty integrating what is on my computer with what is on my android.......I created a track on my laptop.... then on my app I did a sync..it would not show my new track..... tried many times.....then I closed the map and re-openeded it and it was there... one would think that preforming a sync would be enough... did not see any instructions telling me to close and re-open the map..... not an easy learning process.... but thank you for taking the time to reply.
        On Monday, December 14, 2020, 09:50:25 AM EST, Meghan <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 14 Dec, 2020 05:51 PM

It is a bit of a learning curve which is why we are working hard to build the training website. We appreciate your feedback on the process- its really helpful as we work on improving both the app and the training resources for it.

Happy mapping,
    Meghan

10. Meghan closed this discussion on 14 Dec, 2020 05:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Aug, 2021 11:06 PM
01 Aug, 2021 08:19 PM
01 Aug, 2021 03:35 PM