Android app loads tiles over cellular even where told not not

biboyanov

26 Nov, 2020 05:39 AM

Subject line pretty much says it all. The android app loads tiles over cellular data even when the settings tell it not to do so. Latest version as of this writing.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 26 Nov, 2020 04:09 PM

Which setting do you mean? The app loads cellular data unless you are in airplane mode. If you do not have cellular data turned off, and wifi unavailable or off, it will try to load fresh data.

Best,
    Julie

2. 2 Posted by biboyanov on 27 Nov, 2020 06:00 AM

My bad, I was looking at the “layers” control called “allow cellular downloads” and assumed that this applies to tiles. There should be a control in the app to disable cellular downloads even when the phone is not in airplane mode. Tiles can chew data very quickly. For the moment I have disabled the app’s ability to access cellular data from within AF+, would be great to be able to control this through the app

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 27 Nov, 2020 04:23 PM

The setting for downloading layers over cellular refers only to downloading maps tiles for offline use. It does not apply to all data that the app will use. However, if you have tiles downloaded, the app should prioritize those, then cached tiles, then request new tiles. If you download lots of layers on wifi, then leave wifi but have cell data, the app should use very little data.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac