Tracks stopped recording

Rick Waltjen

29 May, 2020 05:45 AM

I'm using the android app on a Samsung J7. Twice in the last week, while recording a track, the track record ends at a location way before I end the track myself. Up until I end the track, it appears to be tracking fine. It's only when I save the track that it ends at a different location.

On one occasion, I took about 6-8 pictures at the location in which the track stopped recording.

On another occasion, I sent about 3 text messages at the location in which the track stopped recording.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

btw, I've been using the desktop version of caltopo for years and just downloaded the app and I think it's the best. I need to upgrade to support caltopo.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 29 May, 2020 02:41 PM

Hi Rick,
    So that behaviour is unexpected, but it clearly sounds like your Android system is killing the CalTopo recording task in the background. Occasionally I see this on my phone when taking an HDR photo, while playing music, with recording running in CalTopo and an alternate GPS app. To have it kill the task just because of a text message seems excessive. Some devices have battery management and system management options. I don't have this device (or a samsung device at all) so I'm unable to dive into your device specific settings, but I would glance through and see if there is a battery or system management option that has levels and reduce that setting by one "notch", essentially tell your system it's ok to use a little more battery or a little more memory in order to not kill apps.

Does that make sense?

Best,
    Ben

2. 2 Posted by Sheila M Reynol... on 16 May, 2021 04:25 PM

I was coming here with a similar question. Last weekend my phone died while tracking and I was very pleased that when I had power again, CalTopo asked me if I wanted to "restore" the track and that worked great. Yesterday, I made sure to bring along a battery pack, and at about the halfway point of our hike, we stopped for lunch and pictures, and I sent a text message (I had previously taken pictures, but this was the only time I sent a text message -- I also took it out of airplane mode at that time), and then I connected my phone to the battery pack and we continued on. I didn't check that CalTopo was still tracking, just assumed that it was. But a couple of hours later, when we got back to the car, I saw that the app had exited / shut-down. I too was wondering if I did something that accidentally closed the app down or not (I'm also using a Samsung, but a Galaxy S7, not a J7). Any thoughts? thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 17 May, 2021 03:41 PM

As Ben suggested, check whether battery optimization is turned on. Turning on battery optimization for the app in your device's settings can sometimes result in behavior like what you described. Try turning off battery optimization and let us know if that resolves your issue.

Best,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Aug, 2021 11:06 PM
01 Aug, 2021 08:19 PM
01 Aug, 2021 03:35 PM