Where are downloads stored?

Nathaniel Siddall

14 Mar, 2020 10:21 PM

I got a phone with a large capacity SD card specifically for the purpose of storing a lot of offline maps. But as I experiment with the Download Layers feature in the Android app I can't see any way of making use of that. It seems that the stuff I download automatically goes to some mysterious unspecified place. I think it is ending up in a folder called com.caltopo.android, in my internal storage. I guess I'll just randomly delete tiles from there when I run out of internal storage space, which will happen soon...

If I'm missing something in Settings, or if there is something I can change in Android, outside the app, or if there is any hope for implementing a way to store offline maps on an SD card, maybe you can let me know.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for the great resource that I've been using online with my laptop for some time now.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 14 Mar, 2020 10:40 PM

If you move the tiles to the SD card the app will still recognize them and load them. There is no way to download to external storage within the app. The .mbtiles files are named based on layer and coordinates.

2. 2 Posted by Nathaniel Sidda... on 14 Mar, 2020 11:55 PM

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. This will largely be a solution to my problem. It'll just be a bit cumbersome freeing up space internally, downloading in installments, and transferring to SD card... It'll help a lot that you've set it up--I think--so that the app will show what has or has not already been downloaded.

3. 3 Posted by rmarcucci on 15 Mar, 2020 04:00 AM

Nathaniel,

You can see what tiles you've downloaded in the download screen, they show as light blue. Just click through the layers if you're using more than mapbuilder and they will show.

All the best,
    Rom

4. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2020 04:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Sep, 2021 08:02 PM
16 Sep, 2021 07:07 PM
16 Sep, 2021 06:13 PM