Integration with Garmin inReach Devices
CalTopo offers integration with all inReach devices including the popular inReach mini and other devices.
Garmin inReach Professional Plans
CalTopo uses inReach Personal Connect (IPC) to receive this information from Garmin, use of IPC requires a professional account for your device. Garmin allows one or more devices on a single Professional plan, there is no price difference compared to the same Personal Flex plan per device.
More information about Garmin Professional plans is found here: inReach Professional Plans. If you are already active on a Personal plan this change requires a call to Garmin (800.511.2459)
Open CalTopo and create and save a new map. In order to add a locator to a map the map must be saved. Add any object to the map and you'll be able to save it (marker, line, etc). Click SAVE MAP in the top right corner as shown here.
In the Add New Object Menu you'll now find the option for "Add Locator" as shown here. Which opens the locator dialog.
In the add Locator Dialog under type for an inReach type device select "Fleet".
The fleet prompt gives several options for setup. These can be edited after setup easily.
- Label - displays in your list of locator groups - all locators from this account will be imported based on this setup
- Stop Listening - The period of time the map will update from the device position updates
- Activity Timeout - How long since the last activity until the map stops listening
- Track Length - How many points from the device will be posted, long tracks are limited to 1000 points
- Color/Style - set the color and style of the track on your map that will be drawn by your tracker
- Fleet ID - This ID is critical and will be used in the URL and setup on Garmin, something memorable should be placed here. This will be used in the next step of setup and should not be changed once linked to Garmin. For this example XXXXX is used
The next setup steps are done in Garmin's interface and require an active device with an active professional plan (see above). To begin navigate to Garmin's inReach portal and login.
You'll be brought to the main page of Garmin account system. You'll select Settings (circled with an orange 1 on the below image) and then you'll navigate to Portal Connect (circled with an orange 2 on the below image).
CalTopo uses the OUTBOUND Portal Connect: The address varies based upon if you use the CalTopo or SARTopo server (typically first responders are on SARTopo server, others CalTopo server).
Turn on the outbound connection (click on the gray off switch and it will turn green and display the word on as shown above). In the URL field place the following address, replacing XXXXX with your selected FleetID from earlier setup steps.
For SARTopo users:
For CalTopo users:
You can send a test message at this point to your map and it should display a dummy locator and a marker at that point. Ensure to save your settings on the Garmin site at the bottom of the page.
At this point you've successfully linked your Locator to this map and the map will now display updates as your device posts these updates. Garmin devices may require additional settings to push updates, these can be set to occur regularly, or only on demand, based on your plan and preferences.
On the CalTopo side you'll see a locator group named as above, and any locators on that Garmin account that have posted a position within the specified listening period and activity time out. In the below example there is a single linked locator with a single point on the map.
If you are not seeing location information flowing across from Garmin
- Check that the FleetID matches the URL in Garmin.
- Ensure the URL starts with caltopo or sartopo and matches your map location
- Check that the listen period hasn't expired (shown with a -- and notes time and date of expiration)
- Check that the activity timeout hasn't been exceeded
- Ensure Garmin Outbound Connect has a green on toggle and that you have saved any updates you made
- Contact CalTopo support
- Installing and Running the CalTopo Desktop App - Windows
- Installing and Running the CalTopo Desktop App - macOS
- Transferring Map Data between CalTopo Online and CalTopo Desktop
- Installing and Running the SARTopo Desktop App - Windows
- Installing and Running the SARTopo Desktop App - macOS
- View all (2 more)