Lat Long lines

Patrick OConnell

29 Oct, 2020 04:04 AM

Years ago I was on a SAR team in Pinal County, AZ. We worked in Lat/Long so I used to put the Lat/Long lines on my map so it was divided into Minute squares. Since we worked in degrees.minutes.minutes. I could then easily look at a map and pinpoint where in the square a lat/long location would be. In minute.minutes, as you know the designation is in tenths. So, when given a reading, for example of 38.52.750 and 104.59.500, I knew the location was 3/4 up the square and 1/2 way across the square within seconds. I even made my own lat/long divider, similar to a UTM divider I could readily drop in the square to get a more accurate location. If you are going to make maps especially for SAR groups, then you should block the map in the units they use, lat/long, UTM, etc to make it easier to find the location literally in seconds.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 29 Oct, 2020 02:05 PM

Hi Patrick,

Are you asking about adding gridlines? You can add UTM gridlines to the map viewer on the web using the Config menu> Show UTM/USNG web. You can do the same thing on the mobile app by going to the 3 bar menu (upper left hand corner)> Display Options> Shoe UTM/USNG Grid. If you are generating a PDF, you can add either UTM or Lat/Long (in degrees or degrees minutes) to your PDF using the Print Options menu.

Best,
    Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Patrick OConnel... on 29 Oct, 2020 11:26 PM

I mean you should add the grid lines on the paper map. The viewer on the web is not always available in the field. There were plenty of places where the teams in the field could not get signals, so the paper map is all you have available. With grid lines on a paper map it is so much easier to find a lat long or Utm location.  I don’t know what grid system is used in California SAR, but whatever it is put those grid lines on the map.  Ask those who actually use the paper maps if this would be helpful, not the people who give you input but don’t actually use the map. 

Just a suggestion from someone who used maps in the field and understood the fractions of a lat long location give in degrees. Minutes.minutes. Works the same for UTM. I could put my finger on a location in literally seconds. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, October 29, 2020, 8:05 AM, Meghan <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv4262105508 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv4262105508 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 29 Oct, 2020 11:39 PM

I'm not sure if you saw this in my previous response but you can add gridlines to a printed paper map. When you generate a PDF (which you can then print), you have the option to add UTM or Lat/Long (in degrees or degrees minutes) to your PDF using the Print Options menu (please see attached screenshot).

As someone who also personally uses paper maps in the field, I can appreciate the importance. Hope that helps!

Thank you,
    Meghan

4. Meghan closed this discussion on 29 Oct, 2020 11:39 PM.

5. Patrick OConnell re-opened this discussion on 30 Oct, 2020 02:07 PM

6. 4 Posted by Patrick OConnel... on 30 Oct, 2020 02:07 PM

I take responsibility here for not explaining myself properly. I understand that I can print a map with the grid lines, but I am talking about the water proof, laminated maps that you print. 
    Thank you 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, October 29, 2020, 5:39 PM, Meghan <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv5436135663 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv5436135663 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 30 Oct, 2020 02:13 PM

The same option is available for the maps printed by Mountyn.co. In the print interface on the left side in the same place as generating PDFs are options for Lat/Long and UTM.

8. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 30 Oct, 2020 02:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac