Aviation Use in CALTOPO App. A Few Questions.

Craig Hannon

15 Jul, 2020 07:41 PM

Greetings. My organization gets tasked with assisting in SAR with our helicopters and I am trying to figure out how we can best use SARTOPO or the CALTOPO app and I have a few questions.

For starters - will I encounter any problems utilizing the caltopo app to view sartopo information?

When I show up on scene the incident commander usually has a sartopo url to share, but I can't find a way to input that url into the app. My work around has been to visit the url on a browser and then save it to my maps to view it on the app. Is there a better way to do this? I realize it could be because I'm using the free version of the app.

I've used Avenza maps before and the incident commander was able to share a QR code that would take you to the map. Something like this would be awesome. Or the ability to airdrop maps to other pilots. I was trying to export a map from the caltopo app to use in avenza - is this possible? Ideally I would like to keep it all in the caltopo app if possible, the overlay with sectionals is great!

Thanks for your help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 15 Jul, 2020 08:30 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for reaching out! I am assuming that your questions are mostly about the mobile app as opposed to the web app so I will answer the questions in regards to the mobile app. If I am incorrect in that assumption, please let me know!

You are correct that you download the CalTopo mobile app when you get it from the app store. However, when you log on, you are given the choice between the CalTopo and SARTopo server. As long as you choose the SARTopo server and use the same account provider/login that you use on the web, you will be able to view anything you have in your SARTopo account.

And in regards to the last two questions, we just released a new version of the mobile app for iOS and Android that allows you to scan QR codes! The incident commander can now generate a QR code for a map with a given level of permission (read, update or write). You can scan it from the computer screen or a print out with the mobile app and it will open and bookmark the map in your mobile app. More information (including how to scan QR codes with the mobile app) can be found here: https://help.caltopo.com/kb/basics/sharing-a-map

As long as you sync the mobile app with your account on the web, you can do everything within the mobile app itself.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If not, please reach out again!
    Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2020 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac