Tracking GPS team radios

Chris Jennings

29 Jul, 2019 12:50 AM

I'm looking for some help with how we can track our radios with CalTopo.

Some of the questions I have:
What radios have you successfully used?
Do you know if it will work with a TYT MD380G?
What hardware do I need for this to work?
Do I need any other software?

I know very little about how this all works so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 31 Jul, 2019 04:33 AM

I hate to say this, but if you don't know much about how radio tracking works generally, you probably want to find someone who does. I have no familiarity with that radio, but I'd guess that it uses a proprietary protocol for sending GPS locations that CalTopo would not integrate with.

CalTopo Offline works with both APRS (a Ham radio specific protocol) and Kenwood Fleetsync; it might be possible to support other radios, but those are the ones that are known to work. In both cases you have a base station radio wired to a computer running CalTopo Offline over a serial port; some Kenwood radios have a serial port on the back and can connect directly, APRS generally requires using a TNC between the computer and the radio to decode signals.

There is some information at http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/offline/49-sartopo-offline-aprs, but setting up radio location tracking is not going to be a simple as buying a product and plugging it in.

2. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac