Wind direction marker

Kenneth Anderson

14 May, 2019 07:57 PM

When working with K9 data, we would like the ability to “Marker” a location that will visually indicate the “Wind direction” and “Speed” in a graphic way and still have a date/time stamp associated with it in a details/comment area.
This could aid considerably in understanding the “Scent Picture” at a given location and time on the displayed map. In post deployment reviews or in the planning section processing of data, this would be extremely helpful.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kobe.pole on 15 May, 2019 03:59 AM

Hi there,
    You can overlay layers with wind speed and direction on the dropdown in the upper right hand corner. As far as a specific marker, this would be hard to have anything more detailed than the layers we already have. We can only pull so much data from existing weather stations. Additionally, we have other development projects underway. However, we will keep it in mind for don the road.
    Thanks for your input, and take a look at the pre -existing weather layers.
    -Kobe

2. 2 Posted by Ken A on 15 May, 2019 04:28 AM

The markers I am suggesting would have the data entered manually from data collected from the field or reported from other sources.

It could be an option that when selected the user inputs the wind direction and speed and any additional information in a comment field and the location if it differs from the point selected. 

When completed a lable appears with the wind speed and a flag tail pointing in the appropriate direction is attached to the speed lable.

Automated wind data would be inaccurate for many search environments when it is specific to a K9's location in a search because of various environmental and terrain challenges.

Ken A

On May 14, 2019 10:59 PM, "kobe.pole" <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hi there,
    You can overlay layers with wind speed and direction on the dropdown in the upper right hand corner. As far as a specific marker, this would be hard to have anything more detailed than the layers we already have. We can only pull so much data from existing weather stations. Additionally, we have other development projects underway. However, we will keep it in mind for don the road.
    Thanks for your input, and take a look at the pre -existing weather layers.
    -Kobe

On Tue, May 14 at 12:57 PM PDT, Kenneth Anderson wrote:

When working with K9 data, we would like the ability to “Marker” a location that will visually indicate the “Wind direction” and “Speed” in a graphic way and still have a date/time stamp associated with it in a details/comment area.
    This could aid considerably in understanding the “Scent Picture” at a given location and time on the displayed map. In post deployment reviews or in the planning section processing of data, this would be extremely helpful.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Wind direction marker.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 15 May, 2019 06:14 PM

Can you elaborate on how this is different than using one of the existing arrow marker symbols, and putting the speed and time in the marker label? That sounds like it would be the same visual effect; I don't see being able to add a specific UI just to input wind speeds.

4. 4 Posted by Kenneth Anderso... on 15 May, 2019 10:49 PM

I do not disagree with your suggestion of using an existing arrow marker as a symbol, that is an option we are now going to use but we are moving towards having searches documented in SARTopo from a number of different K9 resources across days, weeks, and sometimes many months with some conformity to a requested display standard that we have agreed on. A defined Wind marker would reduce the creative variability between individual data entry persons and when all of the data is merged together it would allow a more consistent display of wind patterns and should help refine a scent picture more easily.
    I maybe missing something but if one creates a marker with the Bearing Line option you get most of what I am describing but you do not get the ability to “Move or Adjust” it to another location without dragging one end at a time to a new location and then you cannot confirm the new locations alignment to the specified bearing it was originally created to represent and there is not a copy & past option that I see.
    I understand that you need to focus on prioritizing requests and look at those requests that will positively affect more users and that this is very specific to K9 resources, but I can say that we spend a lot of time looking at that type of data over the years and inconsistent displayed features can cloud the view.
    We will work with the teams and try to agree on a consistent unique custom display for wind.

Thank you.

5. 5 Posted by Kenneth Anderso... on 16 May, 2019 12:08 AM

OK, I found the other Arrow options in the “Choose an Icon Style” and it is relocatable.
    We will work with this feature and get back to you.

Thank you.

6. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 16 May, 2019 03:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac