SARTopo - Is there a way to import Area Assignments?

Joshua Quesenberry

05 May, 2018 10:40 PM

I'm trying to get some of my preplan data created in ArcGIS/QGIS into SARTopo. The first task I've embarked on is to import area assignments, so I modified my SHP file to have "name" and "cmt" columns, which appears to be the pertinent parts of the test area assignment I exported from SARTopo. Upon exporting my SHP to KML and importing that file into SARTopo I found that the data had been made into a GPS Route. I then tried converting that to an Area Assignment, but the "cmt" column from my file appears to be gone by this point. Is there some way to import directly to Area Assignment, Line Assignment, Buffer Assignment, etc.?

1. 1 Posted by Joshua Quesenbe... on 05 May, 2018 11:05 PM

Exporting as a GPX file I see that the "cmt" column gets into SARTopo, but the object is still a Polygon rather than an Area Assignment, if I convert the Polygon to an Area Assignment the "cmt" data gets lost. PLUS it'd be really tedious to one by one convert Polygon to Area Assignment, I don't see a way to do that using the bulk operations.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 07 May, 2018 04:48 PM

Create a few area assignments and do Export -> Download SARTopo Backup. The metadata is is a big urlencoded field in the desc, not cmt, and all urlencoded. The important part is sartype=Assignment, but I'm not sure how many of the other fields you need to specify - you'd have to sort that out via trial and error as it's not really intended to be an externally accessible API.

3. 3 Posted by Joshua Quesenbe... on 09 May, 2018 01:10 AM

Thanks Matt! Using your guidance and some additional trial and error, it appears that the mandatory attributes in the <desc> tag are: sartype & timeAllocated, and then the additional fields that might be useful for me are: details, preparedBy, & status.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 09 May, 2018 05:43 AM

It won't go live for a little while, but I think I fixed the timeAllocated issue, so you shouldn't have to specify it long-term.

5. matt closed this discussion on 09 May, 2018 05:43 AM.

6. Joshua Quesenberry re-opened this discussion on 10 May, 2018 12:49 AM

7. 5 Posted by Joshua Quesenbe... on 10 May, 2018 12:49 AM

Awesome! Is there the possibility of having the description use the cmt value, if the description field is missing and cmt is populated?

Joshua Quesenberry, 5781, STL, MTM

Southwest Virginia Mountain Rescue Group

"...so others may live"

<http://swvamrg.blacksburgrescue.org/> http://swvamrg.blacksburgrescue.org/

A subsidiary of the Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad and a Member of the Virginia Search and Rescue Council.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by matt on 10 May, 2018 06:08 PM

I'm not really looking to add extra complexity to that part of the codebase (the change would probably be simple, but properly testing it against a variety of files isn't), but I'd consider it if you can make a case for why I should be reading from both fields.

9. 7 Posted by Joshua Quesenbe... on 10 May, 2018 07:16 PM

That’s fine. I don’t have strong case. Right now I’m just importing some pre-plan stuff I’ve created using IGT4SAR into the site so that other SAR members can get easy access to it. Very few of my team mates know GIS, much less ArcGIS + IGT4SAR, so it’s a wealth of knowledge not being used and I want to change that J

Joshua Quesenberry, 5781, STL, MTM

Southwest Virginia Mountain Rescue Group

"...so others may live"

http://swvamrg.blacksburgrescue.org/

A subsidiary of the Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad and a Member of the Virginia Search and Rescue Council.

10. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 10:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac