FAA sectionals with Civil Air Patrol Grid System

brent teal

04 Apr, 2018 03:28 PM

Hi,

Are you guys familliar with the CAP grid system.

http://www.cap-es.net/CAPGrids/Conventional%20Grid%20System.htm

I would like to know how we could add this as a layer to your maps.

Thanks

Brent

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 04 Apr, 2018 11:12 PM

I looked into this a while ago and the bottom line is that I can't justify the time it would take to build out a CAP grid layer in house (even the cell grid system, conventional would be significantly harder).

Unfortunately I'm not aware of of a tileset out there that you could import as a custom layer. However if you manage to find a CAP grid overlay for Google Maps style web viewers, you could probably import it into SARTopo (with the creator's permission).

2. 2 Posted by brent teal on 05 Apr, 2018 03:34 PM

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 05 Apr, 2018 06:00 PM

Unfortunately for this case, that page doesn't use a tileset (where the grid is rendered out into images); rather, it draws the gridlines and labels using the Google Maps API. So there's no easy way to import it.

4. 4 Posted by Jim on 03 Aug, 2018 01:25 AM

Is there a way you could provide GARS grid lines and grid names as a layer? We have kml of the GARS lines for Alaska, Canada, and mainland U.S. and you can access them from the Alaska Wing CAP web site here:

https://sites.google.com/a/akwg.cap.gov/ak001-home/member-tools/preflight-resources

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 04 Aug, 2018 02:17 AM

It looks like a promising start, but it will take me some time dig into it. It would be a no-brainer if the KML files contained polygons for each grid, but it looks like lines with markers for the grid centers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac