Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet

steve.levy

10 Sep, 2020 04:05 AM

Using version 4160: A map has been synced between desktop and sartopo.com (a 4 char URL created), then the internet connection is lost. If the desktop program is then unsync'ed, access to the map on the desktop is lost by both the 3 and 4 char URL. It can be accessed again when connection is established to sartopo.com. Is this expected operation?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 10 Sep, 2020 04:20 AM

This is the intended behaviour. Unsyncing your local account removes that account and all associated maps from the local machine/database.

If the internet connection is not active the account will remain present and re-sync when internet connection is restored, there is no reason to actively unsync the local machine from the server.

Is there a specific use case you're inquiring about?

Best,
    Ben

2. 2 Posted by steve.levy on 10 Sep, 2020 05:11 AM

Ben,Hopefully I am being clear.My, and I believe our, intent is to have a local, active map that when we can, share with others via the internet.  We will continue to update map features on the desktop version of the map when it is both connected to sartopo.com and not as comms may be sketchy.  The concern is if, for some reason, unsync happens (by a user or glitch) one appears to lose use of the local map. Seems like one may need to make a copy (and periodic updates) of the map locally and keep it unsynced in case there is a disconnect?Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 9/9/20 9:20 PM (GMT-07:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #600]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 10 Sep, 2020 01:40 PM

You are correct if you unsync the machine while offline any changes between the last time you were online and that moment will be lost. However unsyncing is not a one step accidental process, and we've never had issues with it before.

If your goal is having an online map that is also available offline when out of cell range the best method do that is to keep the machine synced with the server. You can of course periodically back up your work by exporting that map to geoJSON (easiest) or backing up the database (much more complicated).

Best,
    Ben

4. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 10 Sep, 2020 01:40 PM.

5. steve.levy re-opened this discussion on 10 Sep, 2020 04:26 PM

6. 4 Posted by steve.levy on 10 Sep, 2020 04:26 PM

Ben,I think I am not communicating clearly what I see happening and thus the concern.  Can we talk by phone?Regards,SteveSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 9/10/20 6:40 AM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #600]

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 10 Sep, 2020 05:35 PM

I'm sorry we're a small company and not able to offer phone support.

If you unsync the desktop instance it will remove the user account from that machine, that is intended and won't change (we can't leave a user account on a remote machine that is no longer authenticated to that user account).

The best practice if you want access to maps on or offline is to sync your machine and leave it sycned. You will not run into issues with data security or currency. If you have a user unsync that machine (several steps) it will remove that user account from the machine including any data that was added after the last sync. We strongly recommend not doing this.

Best,
    Ben

8. 6 Posted by steve.levy on 10 Sep, 2020 07:31 PM

Still have questions. When not connected due to internet being disconnected and changes are made to both the desktop version of the map and the sartopo.com version and let's say mods are made to the same assignment,  how is that resolved when the internet comes back?Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 9/10/20 10:36 AM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #600]

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ben Lantow on 10 Sep, 2020 09:28 PM

Properties of objects and object geometry conflicts are managed separately. The most recent update should be saved and other updates would be discarded. They would be resolved at the time internet access returns. The same would be true if modified on the mobile app.

However if you change the geometry on one device, and the written properties on another those won't conflict.

10. 8 Posted by steve.levy on 10 Sep, 2020 09:58 PM

For updating correctly, it is important to have the clock on our desktop server at the correct time.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 9/10/20 2:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #600]

11. 9 Posted by steve.levy on 10 Sep, 2020 10:39 PM

To understand the rational behind how syncing is intended to work,  1) when synced, is there still a local version of the map on our desktop server?, 2) if so, why does one loose access to that local map when the unsync operation is performed? It would seem that any operations on the map are the same if synced or unsynced when there is no internet connection.  Maybe there is a document describing this?Thanks, againSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 9/10/20 2:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unsync of sync'ed map when disconnected from the internet [Cal/SARTopo Desktop #600]

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Ben Lantow on 10 Sep, 2020 10:46 PM

Hi Steve,
    I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding.

All aspects of your account are synchronized when you sync, all maps, layers, permissions, custom icons, etc. This is a database which contains keys and confidential user data. As long as you remain logged in and synced to the server this database is kept current anytime web access is available. If internet access is lost, the app continues to check and the database is updated immediately when reconnected.

If you unsync you are removing that user account from the machine, that includes all maps, icons, permissions, custom layers, etc. The local instance is no longer authorized to any account on the server. The entire database is removed at that point because that would be a huge security problem if you left potentially confidential user information on that machine.

Does that make sense? You aren't syncing a map, you're syncing to your account.

Best,
    Ben

13. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 10 Sep, 2020 10:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac