how to get Gaia and Caltopo to play nice?

ecojoy

25 Feb, 2020 01:51 AM

Hi,
Been a Gaia user for some time and trying to upload a complex map and route made in Caltopo. Has perhaps 300 waypoints and 300 routes. Also around 700 miles distance. (attached)
Is there a recommended way to go about that?
Alternatively, is Caltopo Mobile something that could be used instead of Gaia, with all the bells and whistles they have?
Cheers
David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 25 Feb, 2020 02:21 AM

David,

I know this probably isn't a satisfactory answer, but I'd reach out to Gaia for compatibility questions with their app. The file itself looks fine, it is just absolutely enormous, so I imagine that is the issue. I've had no problems importing significantly smaller tracks from CalTopo to Gaia in the past. You may just need to break it up, or use an online gpx processor to remove some points.

Our new app is really seamless between desktop and mobile. I'm obviously biased, but it works great and I love it! You can try it for free via the app store or google play, though you will need a subscription to download maps for offline use. Have a great time on the Hayduke, be safe, and be in touch if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Rom

2. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 25 Feb, 2020 02:21 AM.

3. ecojoy re-opened this discussion on 25 Feb, 2020 08:26 AM

4. 2 Posted by ecojoy on 25 Feb, 2020 08:26 AM

Hi Rom,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did reach out to Gaia and they suggested, as you did, to work with an online GPX processor (GPS Track Editor <http://www.gpstrackeditor.com/> ).

Would that be needed if using the caltopo app as well?

I will look into the mobile app. Will having a subscription at the “pro” level work better at getting files to load faster on the mobile?

My hiking partner is not at the Pro subscription level, and had this to say about the experience of uploading maps.

Any suggestions to address her quandary?

I am currently working on trying to see how the CalTopo App works. I think I’ve been able to download all the necessary tiles for the 1st half. I had to do it manually and it was a huge pain in the butt trying to match up what tiles were necessary as the app won’t allow the route to be overlayed on what needs to be downloaded to work off-line. Now that I think of it, I suspect I am running into a similar problem. CalTopo will only let me upload 2G at a time, which is quite a small area considering the entire length of the trail.

Cheers,
    David

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by rmarcucci on 25 Feb, 2020 10:04 PM

David,

I just loaded it up on my phone. Takes about 5 seconds to load as it is so massive.

A pro level won't affect download speed, just which features you have access to. Download speed will be affected by the speed of your device and connection.
    information is here: https://caltopo.com/about/pricing/individual-accounts/

I have never done a thru of that length, but it seems like most folks will split up their track into more manageable chunks anyway, often into segments between resupplies it seems.

Regarding your partner's experience, has she tried lately? We went away from limiting the amount of downloads. I hear you on the tracks not showing on the downloader, but the base map does show up, so while not exact, it has been relatively easy for me to match up. When you swap from where you are on the map screen to the download screen, it remains centered as well, which helps.

All the best,
    Rom

6. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 25 Feb, 2020 10:04 PM.

7. ecojoy re-opened this discussion on 26 Feb, 2020 10:02 PM

8. 4 Posted by ecojoy on 26 Feb, 2020 10:02 PM

Hi Rom,

All is good. I cut the map in half and am happy to discover the notation remains if downloaded via GeoJson. (https://caltopo.com/m/HR76)

It is tough to see which tiles I needed to download, and missed a few the first time, but it downloads fast and well.

(be interesting to know where those are downloaded to so I can delete afterwards). My download were with scanned 7.5 and Mapbulder overlay.

Regarding my hiking partner’s experience, yes, she just recently tried to get the tiles. Found she had to do it tile by tile.

One big question-does the mobile app have a route recorder? Be good to be able to turn that on and off as needed.

Cheers

David

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by rmarcucci on 26 Feb, 2020 10:41 PM

David,

Great to hear! The tiles are fairly small, but if you truly need to free up your space here is how it works:

For offline layers, you can access the .mbtiles files using iTunes or your phone's file browser, and either delete them or move them to your computer so you can re-install at a later date. The files are named as {layer}-{resolution}-{lat}-{lng}-{sublat}{sublng}.

On Android, All the downloaded maps are accessible under Android/data/com.caltopo.android/files/tiles

To make a track, bottom right 4 dots, record track.

All the best,
    Rom

10. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 26 Feb, 2020 10:41 PM.

11. ecojoy re-opened this discussion on 26 Feb, 2020 11:10 PM

12. 6 Posted by ecojoy on 26 Feb, 2020 11:10 PM

Hi Rom,

Thanks for this info. Found the files! Thanks

Be interesting if file location could be put to SD card?

My app shows a satellite dish. Clicking on that, show the ability to record.

Will test out now and in medium power settings on Airplane mode!

Crossing fingers

Cheers

David

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by rmarcucci on 27 Feb, 2020 12:31 AM

David,

You should be able to move them to an SD card. Watch the power settings. It's a bit hard to say as there are so many versions of Android and phones, but sometimes when the power is being restricted Android will kill the app and your track will stop recording. You may need to adjust your settings if this happens.

All the best,
    Rom

14. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 27 Feb, 2020 12:31 AM.

15. ecojoy re-opened this discussion on 27 Feb, 2020 05:46 AM

16. 8 Posted by ecojoy on 27 Feb, 2020 05:46 AM

Hi Rom,

I think I’ll leave well enough alone for the time being. Thanks for the info on where I can find them.

I was successful at testing track recording-at Medium Power (something that Gaia cant do)

Is there a Manual that I could review on how to use the Caltopo Mobile app?

Things that might answer questions like:

1. Marking a waypoint?

2. Direction finding (is there an arrow that can be used to find the way forward, connected with phone position (similar to Gaia system)?

3. A means to estimate distances (scale)

4. How to update the track I just made to my Caltopo maps?

Cheers

David

17. Support Staff 9 Posted by rmarcucci on 27 Feb, 2020 02:30 PM

David,

1. We don't have great documentation on the app right now, as it is still in beta and has been changing constantly. We're actually hiring someone to make it, among other things, if you know a good candidate: http://caltopo.com/about/2020/02/14/caltopo-is-hiring/
    2. We are in the middle of a big push to release the next beta. This is included. It should happen within a week.
    3. Apologies if directions aren't right here as I have the new beta and can't recall where this stuff was on the old one or if it was a feature. There is a scale at the bottom left of the screen. As well, there is the measure menu - ruler looking thing second from the left in the top bar.
    4. Not 100% sure what you mean here. You can edit tracks made on computer by right clicking. If you're talking about syncing between the app and computer, that happens automatically. If you're talking about editing a track you made on the app on your computer, click on your email address on the upper left and open the my tracks page.

All the best,
    Ro

18. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 27 Feb, 2020 02:30 PM.

19. ecojoy re-opened this discussion on 28 Feb, 2020 11:08 PM

20. 10 Posted by ecojoy on 28 Feb, 2020 11:08 PM

Hi Rom,

Very cool. That directional arrow is a key component to successful navigation. Hope the arrow is distinct to see with aged eyes (Gaia’s is not).

Let me know when the next release. Plan to start hiking on the 6th of March. Would like to update as long as it will not require reloading maps, etc.

Haven’t found the distance measure to be so helpful, but a CLEAR scale on the side of the map would be very helpful-as is done with Garmin. Gaia is too light to see (again, developing for aged eyes would be helpful)

Found the map under “tracks” Nice!

Cheers
    David

21. Support Staff 11 Posted by Ben Lantow on 01 Mar, 2020 07:26 PM

We released the updates today. You don't need to download your tiles again, it will preserve them from the prior versions. We added scale and compass to this release. Check out display options and turn on heading line if you're having issues with the arrow.

22. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2020 07:26 PM.

23. Patty Duffy re-opened this discussion on 01 Mar, 2020 08:09 PM

24. 12 Posted by Patty Duffy on 01 Mar, 2020 08:09 PM

What is the release number so I know that I am running the most up to date version?! Thank you!

25. 13 Posted by ecojoy on 01 Mar, 2020 08:11 PM

Thank You Ben!

You guys rock!!!

How does one update the Caltopo mobile?

Cheers

David

26. 14 Posted by ecojoy on 01 Mar, 2020 10:21 PM

Thank you!

Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 12:22
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: how to get Gaia and Caltopo to play nice? [Cal/SARTopo Offline #474]

Go to the App Store and search CalTopo. It should say “update”

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 12:11 PM David Burdick <[email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]> > wrote:

Thank You Ben!

You guys rock!!!

How does one update the Caltopo mobile?

Cheers

David

27. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2020 05:41 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac