Android / iPhone apps accessing offline SARTopo server

thomaschristian

26 Jan, 2020 11:19 PM

I tested SARTopo offline and I think it could be a great fit for our SAR organization. In the ideal configuration we would have Android and iPhone app users connect to our offline SARTopo map server over a local WiFi network, download tiled data and map objects from that machine, then head out into the field.

From my testing it appears that the Android app can only download online base layers, and can only access maps that have been synced online. Given how often we operate without internet connectivity this makes the mobile apps far less useful to us, as search management maps will not be synced until the operation is over and the SAR manager/s have internet access again.

Based on my limited understanding of how SARTopo works, and some potentially naive assumptions, I would expect that making 'server location' editable by the user, and defaulting this location to the standard online address, could support offline use.

Are there any plans for the Android / iPhone apps to be usable in an offline mode?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 27 Jan, 2020 01:52 AM

At this time the app doesn't allow for alternate servers, there are a lot of reasons why and a huge number of engineering challenges to overcome. We suggest to all teams that they download offline data to their devices before they have missions.

However the desktop application (server) does allow mobile devices to view the data via their browsers if setup as a server with wifi.

We do understand the use case, but the engineering in question is complex and won't be in the very near future.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 01:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac