Sartopo offline and APRS

David Powers

28 Mar, 2019 10:15 PM

So we recently upgraded our radios and they have digital APRS. I reviewed the other post about APRS and since I know very little about how i worked I asked a local ham group to review the information that had been posted in that topic. I was then told that this was only relevant to analog aprs and not digital..honestly I don't know enough about it to know if that is true or not and was wondering if you or someone else reading this may know. I did try to jury rig a work around for connecting the radio by using an audio cable to my microphone input into my laptop. I added the line into the appropriate file, but I think I am missing something. I have been told both that my radio (plugged into the computer via the audio cable) will act as a TNC and been told it won't work, honestly I don't know which is true, but I do know that it is currently not working for me.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 01 Apr, 2019 04:50 PM

What radio model do you have? You need something that acts as a TNC (either your radio, or a distinct TNC if necessary), hooked to your computer via a serial cable, not the microphone input.

2. 2 Posted by Chief David Pow... on 01 Apr, 2019 05:39 PM

We have the alinco DJ-MD5TGP.  Would there be a software option that does that?  Sorry, still pretty new to rado/aprs.David Powers & K9's Storm and Roxanne

Chief - Cumberland County Search and Rescue, Team 400
    NASAR SARTECH II Instructor/LE

NASAR K9 SARTECH II LE
    PSARC Board Member717-409-5727
    -------- Original message --------From: matt <[email blocked]> Date: 4/1/19 12:51 PM (GMT-05:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Sartopo offline and APRS [Cal/SARTopo Offline #304]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 01 Apr, 2019 06:01 PM

I'm not able to find anything on the internet or the user manual indicating that it actually does APRS, vs a proprietary protocol for transmitting the GPS location to other radios of the same model. That's not to say it won't, but unless you can find documentation specific to the DJ-MD5TGP and APRS, I'm not going to be able to help.

4. 4 Posted by Chief David Pow... on 01 Apr, 2019 08:42 PM

Matt,It was a recent software update to the radio.  It does digital (dmr) aprs.David Powers & K9's Storm and Roxanne

Chief - Cumberland County Search and Rescue, Team 400
    NASAR SARTECH II Instructor/LE

NASAR K9 SARTECH II LE
    PSARC Board Member717-409-5727
    -------- Original message --------From: matt <[email blocked]> Date: 4/1/19 2:01 PM (GMT-05:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Sartopo offline and APRS [Cal/SARTopo Offline #304]

5. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac