Error at startup

bigron

14 Jul, 2018 02:44 AM

I have just built a new dedicated SARTopo Offline server for the Placer County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Communications truck. This new server is set up to automatically turn itself on and start the server when the master power switch is turned on in the back; one of the steps of deploying the truck. Instead of using an operating system familiar to the majority of just barely computer literate crowds, I wanted to go with a fairly lightweight Linux operating system. As most of my experience in Linux has been with Ubuntu or Debian-based systems, I went with Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS. The server version does not include many bloated features that are running in the background, which is exactly what I wanted. For JAVA, I chose to install the official Oracle JAVA 10. I created a SYSTEMD service I called sartopo.service that starts up SARTopo upon boot up. I am able to use SARTopo Offline without any yet perceived issues, but I was looking through my log file and a warning in the start-up.

Jul 13 19:10:47 sartopo systemd[1]: Started SARTopo Offline.
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]: Welcome to SARTopo Offline version 4039, 05/17/18 04:45:16
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]: License Key #####-##### expires on 10/08/2018
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]: Temp data unpacked to /tmp/winstoneEmbeddedWAR
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]:  
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]: Server Addresses:
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]:   http://localhost:8080/
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]:   http://sartopo:8080/
Jul 13 19:10:48 sartopo java[1704]:  
Jul 13 19:10:49 sartopo java[1704]: WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
Jul 13 19:10:49 sartopo java[1704]: WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.dom4j.io.SAXContentHandler (file:/tmp/winstoneEmbeddedWAR/WEB-INF/lib/dom4j-1.6.1.jar) to method com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser$LocatorProxy.getEncoding()
Jul 13 19:10:49 sartopo java[1704]: WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.dom4j.io.SAXContentHandler
Jul 13 19:10:49 sartopo java[1704]: WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
Jul 13 19:10:49 sartopo java[1704]: WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

I am not sure what to make of the warnings and hoping others have seen it and understand more of this that I currently do. I will try to research it myself but would love to have someone let me know how to correct the issue if they know already.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kobe.pole on 14 Jul, 2018 05:38 PM

Hi Ron,
    The warnings are due to the java 9 and 10, and shouldn't affect anything. You should be able to just go ahead and paste the localhost address into your browser and it will start up. On a windows machine, you may need to use the specific java 9 & 10 starts cript.
    -Kobe

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 15 Jul, 2018 05:16 AM

^ since you're using your own script on a linux machine, just make sure you're including --add-modules java.se.ee as one of the arguments to Java. It still shows the warning, so that I get things fixed before Java 11.

3. 3 Posted by bigron on 15 Jul, 2018 04:57 PM

^ since you're using your own script on a linux machine, just make sure you're including --add-modules java.se.ee as one of the arguments to Java. It still shows the warning, so that I get things fixed before Java 11.

While it isn't typical for Linux, I decided to create a sub-directory called SARTopo off the root directory (/SARTopo/) and placed all the SARTopo files in that directory. I have then created a file called /etc/systemd/system/sartopo.service which is seen below:

[Unit]
    Description=SARTopo Offline
    After network.target = sartopo.service

[Service]
    WorkingDirectory=/SARTopo
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/java --add-modules java.se.ee -Dsarsoft.properties=/SARTopo/sar.properties -Dsarsoft.version="SARTopo Offline" -Xmx8g -jar /SARTopo/sar.jar --debug=1

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

This ends up starting SARTopo as a service upon booting. As this is a dedicated machine with 16 GB of RAM, I decided to give it allot 8 GB of RAM just for SARTopo, hence the -Xmx8g in the script. As I initially mentioned, SARTopo appears to be fully functional, I just saw the warning message in the log file which makes me slightly concerned about the future. It appears now that it is something outside of my current control and will need to ignore it for the time being.

4. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2018 07:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac