NPS Maps

Langleybackcountry

30 May, 2018 07:21 PM

The NPS visitor map layer is really useful, but the NPS Wilderness Maps would be way better as they include wilderness campsite locations and other backcountry travel info. This is very true for the Olympic Coast and North Cascades where the wilderness maps may also include food storage requirements (bear cans, lockers, hanging rigs, etc..

I am also wondering if the tide data (tide heights for safe passage around headlands) that can be found on Custom Correct and Green Trails maps for hiking the Olympic Coast could be added into a layer.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Jun, 2018 02:01 AM

I'm sorry but I can't see making either of those a priority in the near term.

As far as I can tell, NPS wilderness maps are a specialty item that are not available for a majority of parks; it's hard to justify building and adding a layer with very limited geographic coverage. If they were commonly available it would be easier to take on; I can think about overwriting Olympic and North Cascades specifically.

I could see including tide data in the MapBuilder layer, but I have no idea where to source it from.

2. 2 Posted by Mark Langley on 02 Jun, 2018 04:47 PM

Custom Correct is published by Little River Enterprises in Port Angeles,
    WA. Green Trails is their own thing, I think.

Mark Langley
    Owner - Langley Backcountry Consulting
    Instructor - Cascade Backcountry Ski Patrol
    c: 360.528.7843
    [email blocked]
    langleybackcountry.com

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac