Owner names in Land Management overlay?

terry-caltopo

28 May, 2018 12:48 AM

Is there way to look up owner names in the Land Management overlay (on the USGS 7.5' base map)? The database seems to have records for what is private land and what is not, as it accurately draws them on the map (including various complex shapes). The MyTopo system displays owner names, but I much prefer CalTopo. See the attached image for a side-by-side comparison.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 06 Jun, 2018 01:50 AM

Sorry, no. The BLM dataset I use for that layer only has public land boundaries in it, not private parcel data. Public land is color-coded by management agency (key appears under the layer when you check it, and at the top right of the map viewer), but I don't even have the boundary lines for private parcels, much less ownership info.

Because land records are generally managed at the county level in the US, collecting data from each county and rolling it into a seamless nationwide dataset is incredibly labor intensive, and therefore expensive. Figuring out if I can license the data from someone who's already built out a dataset is something I'd like to tackle at some point, but it's definitely a long-term objective and not a near-term one.

2. 2 Posted by terry-caltopo on 06 Jun, 2018 10:27 PM

It looks like MyTopo uses Trimble Terrain Navigator Pro for this data, since MyTopo is part of Trimble. I suppose the pricing makes it impractical. There seem to be several companies offering this service, but again there are licensing costs and type-of-usage issues.

I just tried a simple lookup on the Inyo County Assessor's site, making it as easy as possible (I supplied the APN) and it gave me a "please wait" spinner for > 10 minutes before I gave up.

So, this seems to be a good deal more complex than I thought when I asked the question. Thanks for your response!

3. 3 Posted by maier.b on 31 Jul, 2018 02:03 AM

I would think that if the information was needed, on an individual bases, that a person should be able to go to their country recorders web site and get the information from there to build a custom layer. I did something similar with state parks in my state.

4. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 22 Aug, 2018 05:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac