Custom map layer rendering?

Cory Sytsma

02 May, 2018 04:32 PM

Hi,

Love your site and service, I'm amazed at the continual new cool features you keep adding. It really has become the default map site for myself and many of my friends.

However, I still use Tilemill for my custom maps that I create for my Adventure Races. But it doesn't do very well with outputting at specific scales and sizes. And I like it because I can custom style the rendering for my trails, roads, etc.

I thought I'd check to see if you've ever thought about offering a service to have a custom map layer? I'd be willing to pay a higher annual cost if I had a private map layer just for me. Since I use Tilemill, my styling is in CartoCSS files. Not sure what you use for your rendering engine.

Thanks,
Cory

www.krankevents.com

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 03 May, 2018 05:48 PM

It's something I've thought about, but I don't have the resources to bite that off right now. If I did, it would definitely be only for use within a caltopo map; I'm not setup to scale up/down based on (possibly high volume) requests from 3rd party sites.

MapBuilder rendering is fairly customized in order to get adequate performance, particularly since contours require a lot of data relative to OSM roads/trails. It would definitely be some work, even if I didn't provide an editor and just had people upload an already-completed CartoCSS file.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Magnolia_Trek_print.pdf 4.56 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac