Need help transferring a Caltopo map to Garmin 64s

Tom

01 Apr, 2018 08:35 PM

Hi, I am a 60 year old guy who has paid $50 for each of the last three years to support Caltopo and use its capabilities. (I mention my age, 'cuz I am not very smart about using software/servers/applications, etc.) I run calliopo on my MacBook Pro using Yosemite 10.10.5. I use Chrome. Last year as I was getting ready for my annual trip to the Wind River Range and planning my route on Caltopo I was never able to successfully import the map with the route I created into the Maps section of the 64s. This despite looking at and trying to apply a variety of YouTube videos, etc. My 15-year-old son was also unable to make it happen.
I need really simple instructions on how to take my custom map from CalTopo and get it on my 64s via my MacBook Pro. I say the following with, as Ringo Starr says "peace and love": but if I can't get those simple instructions I am going to stop paying the $50. Thanks for helping me! Tom

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Apr, 2018 03:30 AM

It depends on whether you are trying to load a KMZ basemap (harder), or just waypoints / routes / tracks (easier). Sorry, I'm not familiar with what you mean by "maps section of the 64s".

For the latter, have you looked at http://help.caltopo.com/kb/gps/working-with-gps-units, specifically the section titled "USB Mass Storage Interface Method"? It covers moving waypoints / routes / tracks onto your GPS.

For a custom basemap, have you looked at http://help.caltopo.com/kb/gps/garmin-custom-maps?

2. 2 Posted by THOMAS MESKAN on 03 Apr, 2018 06:41 PM

Hey, Matt,

So here's what happened.

I followed your instructions for custom basemap below. the 1st time the map with lines I created was imported, but without the lines. (i.e. the line was the trace of a trail)

Then I tried it again, making the line bigger. Now not even the map shows up, let alone the line.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Tom

3. 3 Posted by THOMAS MESKAN on 03 Apr, 2018 06:50 PM

by the way, i can see the maps in the index when looking at the gamin's contents when the garmin is plugged into the computer....
    Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:40 PM
    To: matt
    Subject: Re: Need help transferring a Caltopo map to Garmin 64s [Map Room #564]

Hey, Matt,

So here's what happened.

I followed your instructions for custom basemap below. the 1st time the map with lines I created was imported, but without the lines. (i.e. the line was the trace of a trail)

Then I tried it again, making the line bigger. Now not even the map shows up, let alone the line.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Tom

4. 4 Posted by THOMAS MESKAN on 03 Apr, 2018 07:14 PM

Actually, Matt, never mind. I got it figured out. Thanks! Tom

Tom

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 04 Apr, 2018 01:30 AM

glad to hear it

6. matt closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2018 01:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac